USB cable review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuco

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been moving things around in my office headphone setup. The length of my expensive USB cables was a bit short to connect from my Mac mini to the Bel Canto Directlink. So, I found a 3m USB cable in my drawer, a cheap cable to connect a printer to a computer. Thinking that it will probably sound s.... but that I could get another longer USB cable from Audioquest, Cardas etc., soon, if need be....

To my amazement my headphone system sounded better with this cheap cable. Thus, I read up about opinions on the web, why this can be. Below are some articles: 

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/why-usb-cables-can-make-a-difference/#:~:text=Many%20argue%20that%20digital%20cables,cables%20do%20indeed%20sound%20different.&text=There%20is%20no%20such%20thing%20as%20a%20purely%20digital%20signal.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-Cable-Type-75m/dp/B004LR7HP4  (scroll down to the reviews)

The predominant conclusion in audio video forums is that USB is a digital transfer and no sound difference should be heard. The ones who hear differences undergo a placebo effect and are delusional. Probably bipolar too.

So, since I have these expensive cables relatively to the cheap cable, I decided to do a test myself. The test cables were:

1- Cardas Clear, 0.5m
2- Audioquest Forrest 1m
3- No name 3 m cable

The current setup is, mac mini feeding usb to BC drectlink, fibre connection BC 3.5vb, balanced cables to Mcintosh MHA100 headphone amp, Audeze LCD 3 headphones. Review track Holly Cole - Tennesee Waltz

First run, the cable that stood out was the Audoquest Forrest, very bright, creates sibilance, unbearable. 

Second run was between the Cardas Clear and the No Name. I stopped here many times during track, changed over to see if there are any details missing or the dynamics are different. The Cardas appeared to have more detail, better instrument separation but the NoName was more cohenerent and musical. For longer listening session I'd have prefered the NoName.

So, a bit of a short review but the winner for me was the NoName USB cable, which I currently use. There is definitely sound differences though, some people may prefer a bright, more detailed sound.

Thought I share this if there are any forumites wanting to spend a lot of money on USB cables. Don't. :)