Thorens TD150 MkII suspension mod

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rendlan

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Maybe some of you have seen TheAnalogDept website. On one of the sections, ThorensDept, there are quite a few interesting ideas on turntable tuning, tweaks, mods, replinths etc. One of these mods involves removing the suspension springs and replacing them with "automotive heater hose"...

Being a TD150 MkII owner, I ventured to try this completely reversable conversion. Some heaterhose was procured (20mm inner diameter @R38 per 1/2metre) as well as some rubber washers used in taps. Two washers per unit is used, namely one that fits inside the hose and one that is equal in diameter to the outer daimeter of the pipe. Thus six washers in total was used (+-R6).

To construct the replacement, three 25mm sections of pipe is cut. The smaller of the two washers is inserted into the bottom end and the original rubber grommet, into which the spring fitted, goes onto the top end. Using the larger washer as support base, the unit is inserted in the same way as the spring and fastened using the original nut and steel washer. Once all the units are installed, the platter is leveled by tuning the nuts as needed. Do note that the subchassis is still suspended, but now in a rigid fashion.

The whole mission could'nt have taken 15 minutes... and then we listened... I have to say that I was rather startled by the effect of this modification. I put on a much loved disc that I know well, so I could listen for differences. At first I thought that I had accidentally put on the wrong disc, but discovered that it was infact still that same old round piece of vinyl...

Whereas listenning to the turntable previously left me with the slight impression of slackness in the music (by this I dont mean slow, just slack... uninteresting, lazy, blas?), suddenly the turntable had gotten up onto its feet with pride and was delivering the music with a sense of sureness - authority is the word used, I do beleive ::).

Muddyness in the bass region has cleared up, high notes feels as if they are more defined with some space around them, attack and rythm has improved, channel seperation and soundstage has improved in that it is more stable and defined, but most of all: I'm getting the goosebumps again. The music feels alive.

I truly recommend this mod to all of you with spring suspention turntables. It's completely reversable, so if you don't like it you can convert back to springs. And at R50 max, its a steal!

One last thing: There is a trade-off in that your turntable will be much more susceptible to footfall noises, etc., so good turntable plinth isolation is essential...

Cheers!

R.