LED-backlit LCD: Localised brighter spots and other interesting phenomena

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAV

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
So I am test-driving a Samsung series 6 LED (40"), UA40C6200. mSources are a Pace HD PVR 2P and a Pioneer DV-420 DVD that supports 1080p upscaling.

I have noticed some interesting phenomena, and being a complete LCD TV "noob" when it comes to the actual experience, your comments are invited:

1. Motion blur: Watching cricket in HD, almost no blur is apparent. When a large surface suddenly moves (i.e. ocean floor, scenery) it is quite noticeable.

2. Localised brighter areas or noticeable backligthing: When there is any type of content that is not displayed as full screen, I can see the actual backlighting on the black bars above and below the picture. It looks as if someone is shining a small light diagonally from each bottom corner. It is not that noticeable on the top corners.

3. Dimming behaviour: When text or end titles are being displayed and only a small part of the screen area is used, then that text dims noticeably, as opposed to a much brighter image when a large area of screen is occupied by static or scrolling text.

Watching HD content from DSTV or upscaled DVD content, the overall experience is quite good.