Upgrade advice?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Right, now that all the heavyweights are in, would you care to offer some words of wisdom? I have a modest surround setup, and I'd like to get better stereo performance with music. The kit is a Pioneer el-cheapo DVD-585A (hooked up via S/PDIF coax), Denon AVR-2105, and a pair of B&W DM603 S3 serving duty at the front. It's all living in my wooden loft, below a thatch roof - listening position is fairly close, at about 2m away from the speakers. I'm not sure to what I owe it, but bass is very strong and even.

I used to like it reasonably well, but I find it very boring and flat sounding of late. With the right source material it can still excite, but I listen to a lot of indie rock and similar music which is recorded to a rather poor standard. I listened to a couple of reasonably expensive systems lately and was amazed at how good even ordinary records could sound. What would be the best bang in terms of making my kit perform better at stereo, short of starting a whole new system? And what about a small dedicated system? Budget-wise, it's fairly open ended, but along the lines of the current kit's level would be ideal.

Latest posts