Author Topic: Best Laptop Currently?  (Read 690 times)

Offline AlexR

Best Laptop Currently?
« on: August 04, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »
What's the best laptop around the R12k budget range currently?

What would you look for?

Trying to decide between and Asus Vivobook & a Lenovo IdeaPad 145

Offline kamikazi

Re: Best Laptop Currently?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »
Admittedly this one needs some additional components to complete that would take it over your budget, but for the price this laptop looks like a monster. If you take an 500GB NVME + 2x8GB RAM and buy a Windows license on Carbonite you shouldn't need to upgrade for a long time.

WootBook Metal II - Ryzen 7 4800H

Offline Music_Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 11:53:14 PM »
Without knowing exactly what your intended usage is, it is a little difficult to make recommendations.

For a good middle of the road machine:-
  • 14 - 15.6" screen. I have a 14" as my personal machine and find the keyboard a bit small but not unmanageable.
  • 1920  x 1080 resolution. In this day and age, anything less than that does not make sense.
  • An Intel i5  processor would be fine for most normal work. My experience with an 8th Gen i5-8265U was surprisingly good in an HP laptop I purchased for my daughter. I have no experience with the AMD Ryzens.
  • 256 SSD or NVMe is ok but limiting after a while.
  • 8GB RAM at minimum
  • Most importantly, support and warranty.  Laptops do go belly up, more so than desktops. A 1-year warranty is just not enough. 3 years would be my minimum. A 3 year on-site would be best.

I tend to stick with Dell, Lenovo and HP.

I know these are rather broad recommendations but hopefully, they will help.

Midrand

Offline Hannesking

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »
I think Lenovo is best value for money

Offline naughty

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 04:19:19 PM »
honestly for now i would go with the AMD Ryzens - unless you want to wait for the Intel 11th Gen (Tiger Lake) stuff - that has just about caught up to the Ryzen 4000 series in terms of CPU power and onboard GPU power and is maybe on par mostly but around 2% or so faster in gaming (negligible but nevertheless a marketing victory) from what i have read about early benchmarks

most of the laptop brands mentioned have annoying bloatware - which slows everything down - especially Dell - its particularly annoying when your boot up time is more than 40 seconds - i would suggest having a second NVME M.2 drive installed (it wont come with one of those at the price you are looking at but might have a slot for it Like my 8th gen Dell does) - so i can add it and set it to boot from that then get a Win 10 pro licence from Carbonite or Roryrens here and then dual boot setting the M2 as the main boot drive - this will totally eradicate the Dell bloatware unless the machines device drivers include some form of bloatware but i suppose the drivers would just be mainly drivers

if you don't like AMD (or do'nt want to wait for Intel's 11Th Gen) and if your budget is fixed then get a 10th Gen Intel i5  ie something like this below link (not necessarily the exact same model if like me you are not a fan of the Dell bloatware) 

https://www.incredible.co.za/dell-inspiron-3593-i5-1035g1-8gb-1tb-notebook?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoOOxst_Z6wIVYIBQBh1ZKAxTEAQYASABEgII8fD_BwE

its only got onboard graphics but that onboard graphics is around 40% faster than the graphics on my 8th gen 17 that i got for the same price - had i waited two months i would have had ultraHD (with HDR) capable graphics onboard - as it stands i don't even on the i7 machine because while i may have a 4k desktop it wont play 4k video easily

Offline naughty

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 04:31:41 PM »
  • 256 SSD or NVMe is ok but limiting after a while.

its more than fine if you transfer your data to an external drive - this is what i do because i follow a policy advocated in the movie "Heat" - to paraphrase "Never leave anything on your hard drive that you can't walk away from in a decision that takes longer than 5 minutes" - so only O/S and apps on the main drive, in which case even a 128 drive is good enough - and then everything else goes onto external drives

SO

if anything goes tits-up on the O/S then i can just format and reinstall but everything important like Pics, music, movies, other media, work etc are all stored on the external drive - if you do things correctly you won't even be affected by viruses and ransomware because three to four hours of formatting and reinstalling and you are on the go again

i had this exact situation when a recent Windows update (to Win 10 2004) went completely crazy and made around 6 or 7 drivers stop working - the main two being the trackpad and external mice) so it was a nightmare to try and remember enough keyboard shortcuts just to try and get it working again - so with absolutely no essential data on the machine itself i just did a factory reset which brought me to the factory installed version of Win 10 ..... BUT now i'm even more determined to get that NVME M.2 drive and dual boot so that i remove the bloatware and also have a secondary drive to boot to when things really go tits up - but finances are tight now so just have to sell something to afford at least a 256GB NVME M.2 drive (can get a 512GB drive for around R1500 too so may opt for that)