Author Topic: media playback from a PC that fits in your pocket  (Read 413 times)

Offline naughty

media playback from a PC that fits in your pocket
« on: August 03, 2020, 05:06:15 PM »
just came across this article - its a good thing to replace microservers for media playback - only way to make this better is to have it battery operated but then that is effectively a laptop but this thing is crazy cool in my books

https://www.techradar.com/news/this-miniature-desktop-pc-fits-into-a-pocket-and-delivers-decent-performance

it is HDMI 2.0 capable so implies ultraHD video - and the celeron can be replaced with something stronger too if you want to throw some money at improving it and i'm sure it wont be too hard to improve hard drive space and ram too

see the size - thats a microSD card plugged into the side (and this is a complete PC)

Offline Tulley

Re: media playback from a PC that fits in your pocket
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 10:42:50 PM »

Offline naughty

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »
Asus has also launched the PN50 based on the Ryzen 4000 which should be comparably much better in terms of graphics performance - also similarly sized

article at Anandtech

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15947/asus-pn50-mini-pc-with-ryzen-mobile-4000-apus-coming-september

one of these will for me be an ideal media streamer linked to a good ultraHD display - i reckon this will be a stronger computer than the Intel based stuff - when there is no load shedding i'm going to look at purchasing a nice ultraHD TV with one of these to replace all the PC and microserver based solutions that i now have

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 05:55:35 AM »
Asus has also launched the PN50 based on the Ryzen 4000 which should be comparably much better in terms of graphics performance - also similarly sized

article at Anandtech

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15947/asus-pn50-mini-pc-with-ryzen-mobile-4000-apus-coming-september

one of these will for me be an ideal media streamer linked to a good ultraHD display - i reckon this will be a stronger computer than the Intel based stuff - when there is no load shedding i'm going to look at purchasing a nice ultraHD TV with one of these to replace all the PC and microserver based solutions that i now have

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Surely this post should be in joke of the day??
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 08:35:56 AM »
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Surely this post should be in joke of the day??
Why?

Offline Katji

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »
When they pay back the money and go to jail.

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 10:54:35 AM »
Why?

NVM, was too early for me - thought it was a reference to AMD vs Intel