Author Topic: Dual 505, a little gem  (Read 201 times)

Offline stereoholic

Dual 505, a little gem
« on: August 02, 2020, 01:23:35 PM »
My Sony dd is giving speed problems, so I hooked up this little turntable  fitted with  an Om5 cart to my Rega fono and Cambridge amp, speakers are Mission Mx4. I was astounded by the synergy, glorious sweet highs and lovely balanced sound. My new late night listening setup...until I can get the Sony repaired. The Dual sort of disappears when played through the Precision Acoustic amp and Bentleys, but it just works with the first combo I mentioned... and to think I was going to sell this little beauty. This game never ceases to amaze me. :groovy:

Offline cft

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
  • Music makes the world go round....
Re: Dual 505, a little gem
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
Thought I was the cat's whiskers when I upgraded from my folk's Denon TT to my own CS505 with OM10 cartridge. Soon upgraded to a Goldring 1020 which I loved - brings back many fond memories of my first system........

Offline fredeb

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 07:35:42 PM »
Glad you're enjoying the Dual and spinning the black discs @stereoholic ! Interesting regarding the setup that the vinyl likes , is that even if you move the Rega Fono to the other side ?
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline stereoholic

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 08:41:30 PM »
The Precision Acoustic pre amp has a great phono stage, better than the Rega as l've tried them side by side, I can't explain why this sounds so good, but I've been listening to it for  few hours now and it really is sweet. When I first tried the Dual, it sounded nice, but severely lacking bass, so it got stowed away. I did upgrade the cart to an Om10, but did not enjoy the sound, as it seemed much harsher than the Om5.

Anyway I am really enchanted with this little deck, it has a musicality, that makes you just keep listening. The lack of bass I solved by using the controls on the amp ( Normally I use direct) and putting a couple of pillows behind the speakers too stop a bit of boom I was getting.. I see a bass trap build on the cards soon :rubhands

Offline christowp

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 03:28:07 PM »
Ja there are some gems lurking in cupboards in many a forum member's home. Good to read this story. I remember that TT well as part of the NAD 3020 / AR18 package deals. never owned one but enjoyed music on friends system that included it. Enjoy