Author Topic: Atmos hight speakers on the cheap  (Read 1248 times)

Offline TheoVogel

Atmos hight speakers on the cheap
« on: May 27, 2020, 07:51:43 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of upgrading my system to be Dolby Atmos capable. I currently only employ a 5.0 Polk Rti 7setup without a sub.

How important is it to have good quality speakers for the hight channels. I've got 5 satellite speakers part of Logitech Z-680 5.1 setup. The Logitech's served me well on my student days and are THX certified.

Would it these satellites work well if I employ them as my hight channels powered off the AVR or would they bring the rest of my Polk system down too much to be worth it?

Offline Razr

Re: Atmos hight speakers on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 07:58:36 PM »
I actually wonder about the same thing is is worth spending big bucks on atmos speakers, and was also thinking of using z5500 speakers as they seem powerful enough but id have to buy 2 used for height channels   

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 05:10:26 AM »
Yes works like a charm :thumbs:

Offline TheoVogel

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:23:09 AM »
Yes works like a charm :thumbs:

What speakers did you use for this?

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 11:02:29 AM »
What speakers did you use for this?

Old creative pc speakers much like yours.

Offline isaac3201

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of upgrading my system to be Dolby Atmos capable. I currently only employ a 5.0 Polk Rti 7setup without a sub.

How important is it to have good quality speakers for the hight channels. I've got 5 satellite speakers part of Logitech Z-680 5.1 setup. The Logitech's served me well on my student days and are THX certified.

Would it these satellites work well if I employ them as my hight channels powered off the AVR or would they bring the rest of my Polk system down too much to be worth it?

When I had Polk signature series ,my atmos were the Owm3 and sounded amazing. They also have multiple mounting options. Before I sold them I took them down and placed them as fronts to demo for the new buyer. While I waited for the buyer to come I decided to play some music and was amazed how well they played as fronts too , they are very underrated . They are available in black and in white and go for a song when on “special”
HT: Marantz - Dynaudio - SVS - UB900 - OLED - AppleTV 4k - QED

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 01:14:41 PM »
If you are physically mounting the speakers above you in accordance to atmos spec, there is really no "atmos" speakers needed.  Any good quality monitors that can handle 80hz and above and relative in size, sensitivity etc to the rest of your system would be a great investment.   Anything less than 80hz you will be losing effect....  eg If james earl jones was playing God, and speaking from above... you might think he's shifted sides :) maybe not that bad... but you get the gist.

Offline JasonK

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 01:40:53 PM »
I am using the inexpensive Bentley FS-50's for my Atmos duty as I cannot cut into my ceiling. They sit high up on the sides just below the ceiling (got 4 of them). Sounds good to me and get the effect I was after - More of a bubble of sound around and just be warned not all Atmos tracks are created equal, some use Atmos implementation well and others don't. I Tried Ceiling Bounce Speakers, Don't waste your time with that, never got the any noticeable effect. I think Bizkit sells the Bentleys

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »
I think Bizkit sells the Bentleys

Jip up in Jhb you can contact @BiZKiT.

Down in Cape Town, I have quite a few new sets on their way to me and they should be in stock within the next few days.

Your Logitech speakers should work fine though. Give some consideration on where/how you will route the speaker cables. If you are taking them through the ceiling and you do have space inside the ceilings, you may as well install in-ceiling speakers. 6" in-ceiling speakers don't take up that much space.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:06:20 PM by Drifter »

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 07:49:09 AM »
Yes of you want fr50 i have in stock.

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 09:52:38 PM »
When I had Polk signature series ,my atmos were the Owm3 and sounded amazing. They also have multiple mounting options. Before I sold them I took them down and placed them as fronts to demo for the new buyer. While I waited for the buyer to come I decided to play some music and was amazed how well they played as fronts too , they are very underrated . They are available in black and in white and go for a song when on “special”

That's my setup too. 4 OWM3s mounted onto my ceiling (slab, so couldn't cut out for in-ceiling speakers and the few in-ceilings I heard didn't impress me).

The OWM3s pair awesomely with these monitor audio mounts (one of the reasons I went for these is that they had proper thread for mounting and not just keyhole which may not be great for on-ceiling):
https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/accessories/speaker-brackets-mounts-spikes/masm-mount/

Offline isaac3201

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 10:58:55 PM »
That's my setup too. 4 OWM3s mounted onto my ceiling (slab, so couldn't cut out for in-ceiling speakers and the few in-ceilings I heard didn't impress me).

The OWM3s pair awesomely with these monitor audio mounts (one of the reasons I went for these is that they had proper thread for mounting and not just keyhole which may not be great for on-ceiling):
https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/accessories/speaker-brackets-mounts-spikes/masm-mount/
Oh cool man that’s great as those mounts are easily available. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HT: Marantz - Dynaudio - SVS - UB900 - OLED - AppleTV 4k - QED

Offline joseyferr

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 03:50:11 PM »
Those Logitech speakers are good, but if you want really good atmos speakers for price value...Bentley Acoustics.