Author Topic: How to save electricity?  (Read 584 times)

Offline TimbaLand

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: How to save electricity?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 12:55:29 PM »
I have an electrical geyser that is being used as a storage tank

The kit which cost R7950,00 came from a supplier in Somerset West, ITS Solar, tel:  021-8515290.  Very easy to install in that the pipes were already there from a flat panel collector which rusted away

The water does not flow through the pipes.   There is a small tank on top and each pipe is fitted into the tank which is insulated from the pipes and made of glass

Thanks Chris
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers, 685 and 686 Surrounds, CCM In ceilings| Optoma UHD40|Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver| Nvidia Shield

Offline Nicholas

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »
I installed a Kwikot heatpump in about 2016 (cost about R7k and installed myself) and saved R300pm in summer and R400pm in winter, very happy with its performance. (Family of 4 with 150L geyser)

Offline rodga

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 03:18:19 PM »
I used to do this manually and was tiring,
And not much savings, didnít even bother getting the digital one.

Got a geyser blankets to keep warmth so the geyser doesnít work too much from reheating water after normal cooling process....itís cheap to install and you forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A geyser should not need a blanket. You are better off spending the money on lagging for the copper pipes.

Offline Vince MacMahon

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • One Life...Live It
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 03:19:54 PM »
They covered the pipes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »
The new geyser has a decent amount of insulation

I bought these split insulation sleeves which you fasten with cable ties.  Obviously the water in the pipes is cold, but warms up much more quickly with the insulation in place than without.  If you have lived in England for a while, you will see what they do there for pipe and wall insulation.  We in SA have a bit to learn

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline rodga

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 06:20:02 PM »
The new geyser has a decent amount of insulation

I bought these split insulation sleeves which you fasten with cable ties.  Obviously the water in the pipes is cold, but warms up much more quickly with the insulation in place than without.  If you have lived in England for a while, you will see what they do there for pipe and wall insulation.  We in SA have a bit to learn

Sondor makes a decent one called ziplag with a built in rubber gasket to open close at a much better price than builders etc.

Or plumbit online which has the ones with double sided tape so need for cable ties.

Offline Hugo Biermann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • Keep it simple and it will work out the best!
    • Aggressie Audio
How to save electricity?
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 01:39:36 PM »
I moved into a new house earlier in the year with a geyser sitting on top of the flat roof. Loads of copper heat loss that needs to get insulated. Thereís a timer sparking it up in the evenings too. Its a 3kw elememt. Sucks the meter hard.

Iím contemplating building a 1.2x2.5m passive thermoflow solar heater. Just some copper 3/4Ē ,alu box with an clear acrylic lid and some NS7.

Other than that its going solar power to save energy. Or just tapping power from an illegal point in your supply. Its a tough one.

The reason for the passive heater is because I have seen it work really efficiently before. And its cheap with almost 0 maintenance. Just make sure your TP valve works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:52:03 PM by Hugo Biermann »
Nad 7020
Nad 523
Yamaha PF-50
Coral 8CX-50 loaded BK201
Custom Stereo Amp
B&O Beovox S30
Sansui RZ-7700AV
ID DIY Towers
Sony Surround Set
Canare / Neutrik Interconnects
Accucable Speaker Cable

http://www.aggressiveaudio.co.za/

Offline LC

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 03:57:48 PM »
Approved rating for copper pipe insulation to be effective is quite a bit thicker than what has been posted here. R1 insulation is what is needed.

Offline Hugo Biermann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • Keep it simple and it will work out the best!
    • Aggressie Audio
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 06:59:58 PM »
Approved rating for copper pipe insulation to be effective is quite a bit thicker than what has been posted here. R1 insulation is what is needed.
Pool noodles wont work, yes. You want nitrile foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nad 7020
Nad 523
Yamaha PF-50
Coral 8CX-50 loaded BK201
Custom Stereo Amp
B&O Beovox S30
Sansui RZ-7700AV
ID DIY Towers
Sony Surround Set
Canare / Neutrik Interconnects
Accucable Speaker Cable