Author Topic: Connecting power amp to Denon X3600H  (Read 764 times)

Offline Trompie67

Re: Connecting power amp to Denon X3600H
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 06:41:52 AM »
Something very important to keep in mind that not many people realize. All avr's internal amps run even if you use the pre-outs. Yes the output volts on the Denon are better then another brand i will not mention. But if you run them at very high volume for to long they can start clipping even if the power amp is still fine, the receiver will be over driven. This is the reason why you need to bypass the fronts if you run them on power so the only option i can see is the 11ch assignment and set the avr to fronts on power so they are off in the receiver menu.

The new Denon range will have tech borrowed from the 8500 where you can turn off all internal power and run it in complete processor mode, this is genius and will make stand alone processors a thing of the past in my opinion.

Lastly what im saying here will not happen to 80% of users because you almost need to abuse the unit and drive it past reference for a extended period of time so i would not worry about it at all. I only had this happen once in my life with a very old hearing impaired client that liked to drive his unit full volume with all 9ch running for a long time. The unit is still running after all that abuse just out of interest.

I'm a bit confused by this statement.

Even if the internal amps are still being fed power if I'm using pre-outs, how can they clip if they have no load?

Extrapolate a little further: You have a 9.1 AVR, but are only using it as a 5.1. So all 9 amplification channels are being fed power, even if you're not using 4 of them? And if you drive the AVR too hard those 4 channels will clip, even with no load? What then about the oft-given advice of using extra (unused) channels for bi-amping?

I noticed a large reduction in the heat from my AVR when I connected the fronts to an external amp via pre-outs. How could this happen if the channels are still being driven?
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 07:08:45 AM »
I'm a bit confused by this statement.

Even if the internal amps are still being fed power if I'm using pre-outs, how can they clip if they have no load?

Extrapolate a little further: You have a 9.1 AVR, but are only using it as a 5.1. So all 9 amplification channels are being fed power, even if you're not using 4 of them? And if you drive the AVR too hard those 4 channels will clip, even with no load? What then about the oft-given advice of using extra (unused) channels for bi-amping?

I noticed a large reduction in the heat from my AVR when I connected the fronts to an external amp via pre-outs. How could this happen if the channels are still being driven?

Obviously is will be load dependent on how fast this will happen. Think of you doing cardio, now i add weights(load) you will get gassed quicker. Same thing. They are still running.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »
Watch this to help you understand.
https://youtu.be/5AiWY9PCuaw