Author Topic: Lafayette Superheterodyne Radio - 1935  (Read 1678 times)

Online El Sid

Re: Lafayette Superheterodyne Radio - 1935
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 08:38:45 AM »
So I myself have done very little on this.  @charles  has very kindly offered to test the valves, and I still need to get them through to him.

But what has happened is that my friend took the cabinet to a furniture restorer he has used, and the results are absolutely stunning. It probably looks better than when it left the factory floor!

Online El Sid

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 08:41:55 AM »
Very interesting re field coil drivers . Those 6L6's (?) also look good . CV1917 perhaps ? ( the 6L6's I mean )

The valves are: 2 x 47 output pentodes, 1 x 80 rectifier, 1 x 55 double diode, 4 x 56/57/58 RF amps. So the type 47 are the power amp stage

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 08:43:23 AM »
So I myself have done very little on this.  @charles  has very kindly offered to test the valves, and I still need to get them through to him.

But what has happened is that my friend took the cabinet to a furniture restorer he has used, and the results are absolutely stunning. It probably looks better than when it left the factory floor!

Oh my. That looks absolutely beautiful!  :thumbs:
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Online El Sid

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 08:47:12 AM »
Oh my. That looks absolutely beautiful!  :thumbs:

It does! But now the pressure's on me to restore the electronics to the same standard.....

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »
The Furniture Restorer certainly knows his stuff, that is absolutely brilliant! Now Mr. Sid, the electronics are up to you and I suggest you get down to it with puhlentee of pics along the way.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline fredeb

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »
That does look amazing , I'm sure this unit will sound even better than new when you're done with it El Sid .

Can you , for interests sake , post the schematic please ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 12:23:53 PM by fredeb »
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Online El Sid

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 04:45:34 PM »
Hi Fred - this schematic from reply #1 is the closest I've managed to find:

Offline kubusi

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 05:57:03 PM »
If you need any of those valves and 2.5 volt pilot bulbs give me a shout, have them all
FIRST LAW OF VALVE AMPLIFIERS
Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

Online El Sid

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »
If you need any of those valves and 2.5 volt pilot bulbs give me a shout, have them all

Wow - thanks kubusi! Charles has also very kindly offered to help, also with testing the existing valves to see which need replacing. I will be in touch.