Audio and Video Talk > Computers & Networking

Most reliable HDD?

<< < (2/8) > >>

ara:

--- Quote from: kay on April 06, 2011, 03:09:07 PM ---I thought Google debunked the whole "enterprise grade" myth pretty thoroughly. Drives tend to fail either early, or from long use a couple of years down the line. Not much difference between consumer vs enterprise, though keeping them cool and on clean power helps.
--- End quote ---

True and false. You try and use a "Desktop" drive on most hardware raid controllers and you will have endless drive drop outs and all sort of other issues. The way the head parks, spin-up, etc is all different between the various drives. Failure rates might be fairly close in the beggining of the life cycle but do stagger out over time in favour of enterpise drives.

--- Quote from: kay on April 06, 2011, 03:09:07 PM ---Generally though, they're unreliable so you should always have a multi-tiered backup strategy. Just buy two of whatever big-name brand meets your performance and capacity requirements.

--- End quote ---

Very true. Also best to buy the drives from different places to avoid the same batch. I once bought 8 samsung drives and was very impressed that the serial numbers was so in sequence. Lost 6 of the 8 drives  :( and it was later discoverred after speaking to the people that they where having lots of problems with that batch of drives.

gavinbirss:
Maxtor was bought by Seagate so some drivers from Seagate are actually Maxtor.

Enterprise drive generally cost much more than 8-5 (60 degrees C) Desktop drives, offer 24x7 operation, run up 70 degrees C and have 3-5 year warrantees.
Your best bet would be to go for a at least 2 AV series drive from either Western Digital or Seagate and to make 2 copies if the information is important. 1 Drive for use and 1 for safe keeping.

Portable drive often get abused physically by transporting them and by running hot due to limited air circulation/cooling.

Cool dry air / not being moved - not needing to adapt to different atmospheric conditions and maybe a RAID 1/5 should yield best backup solution.

Most Desktop drives some via USB offer SMART monitoring. This includes early warning signs and also the total time a disk has been on...

Rotten Johnny:
Over the past 15 years or so of rolling my own PC's I'd name Hitachi & Seagate as the most reliable driives I've used and Samsung as the absolute worst.  IMHO Samsung is the way to go if you want to be sure you'll lose your data at some point - I've had issues with their 250GB, 400GB and laptop drives and it's fair to say I'd NEVER buy a Samsung drive again - there's a reason they're cheaper than the rest.  Hitachi is my 1st choice.

gavinbirss:
Oops was in a hurry and attached wrong screenshot. Mods can you delete my previous attachment. Wanted to ad a smart monitoring screenshot...

Rotten Johnny:

--- Quote from: gavinbirss on April 06, 2011, 05:33:03 PM ---Oops was in a hurry and attached wrong screenshot. Mods can you delete my previous attachment. Wanted to ad a smart monitoring screenshot...

--- End quote ---
  ;), and surely that's an android screenshot rather than an iphone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version