Author Topic: Value for money speaker cable  (Read 1381 times)

Offline greatwhite

Re: Value for money speaker cable
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2020, 11:24:14 PM »
Thank you. The wires are pretty thin. Longest are the rear speaker wires, around 9 m. Do they need replacing or something? It came with the Onkyo HT package and color coded.

Also on the search for a better cable for exactly the same unit. Rears in my case will be about a 10 or 11 m run each. Unlike the OP, where R100/m is OK, spending half the price of the this entry level set on cables doesn't make much sense. Especially when acoustically, the room I intend using this in is far from ideal too. I would, however, like to ensure that if decide to put slight better speakers in later I don't have poor cables chased in because I was too cheap to spend some money to do a decent job. In my mind I was thinking of 2.5mm copper cables. Any suggestions?

Until reading this thread I wasn't even aware that they tried to palm off copper coated aluminum on the audio market too - seen it a lot in cat 5/6 network cables though. Having picked that up, perhaps the question I should ask is, any cables that I should avoid? Relooking at some of the options I saw online I see they are CCA, which is annoying when you looking at spending over a grand on a roll. Others simply don't state....

Offline cft

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
  • Music makes the world go round....
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »
" I'd say auminium cables would be "dull" since aluminium is usually a dull silver colour as it oxidises easily.  :sh1tstirrer:" - maybe why Silver cables also sound so "dull" -  :BWAHAHAH:

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »
Safest bet for actual copper cable on the cheap is to buy the black and red ripcord that comes in various thicknesses from an electrical supplier. At least it is copper.

Easy way to tell if a cable is copper clad is to look at a freshly cut end. If you see silver  decline to buy the cable. Also, if the roll weighs less than expected it is in all likelihood not copper. Space TV, Zakspeed and Ellies all sell CCA cable, so be warned.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:20:10 AM by Cross_over »
The only exercise I get is jumping to conclusions

Offline greatwhite

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »
Safest bet for actual copper cable on the cheap is to buy the black and red ripcord that comes in various thicknesses from an electrical supplier. At least it is copper.

Easy way to tell if a cable is copper clad is to look at a freshly cut end. If you see silver  decline to buy the cable. Also, if the roll weighs less than expected it is in all likelihood not copper. Space TV, Zakspeed and Ellies all sell CCA cable, so be warned.

Thanks for the feedback. I was similarly inclined in thinking and since my last post, I spent a bit of time doing some homework:

Seems Aberdere make a 'rip cord' intended for, among other things, speaker use. They publish a bit of data on it stating resistance is 7.98 Ω/km (or 0.00798 Ω/m - say 0.008 Ω/m) for their 2.5mm^2 core cable. I compared this to the QED 79 strand 2.5mm^2 cable which has a loop resistance (i.e. there and back, so effectively 2m) of 0.016 Ω/m (or 0.008Ω/m one way). Near as dammit same number for both

I used the QED cable as a datum simply since it seems to be a popular and well thought of cable, from an established audio manufacturer and it had data available. Unsurprisingly Aberdare don't publish other inductance and capacitance data for the cable as QED do, but I would suspect if resistance is essentially the same, those other factors can't be massively different.

Incidentally, the Aberdare product is 72 strands of Ø0.2mm - which translates into a true material cross section of 2.26mm^2. They also do a 4mm^2 core cable too with 112 strands (calculates 3.51mm^2) and 4.96Ω/m

No idea the cost, or how well it works sonically, but selling into the industrial market as opposed to consumer market, you are not paying for marketing hype

Offline yusufptl

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I was similarly inclined in thinking and since my last post, I spent a bit of time doing some homework:

Seems Aberdere make a 'rip cord' intended for, among other things, speaker use. They publish a bit of data on it stating resistance is 7.98 Ω/km (or 0.00798 Ω/m - say 0.008 Ω/m) for their 2.5mm^2 core cable. I compared this to the QED 79 strand 2.5mm^2 cable which has a loop resistance (i.e. there and back, so effectively 2m) of 0.016 Ω/m (or 0.008Ω/m one way). Near as dammit same number for both

I used the QED cable as a datum simply since it seems to be a popular and well thought of cable, from an established audio manufacturer and it had data available. Unsurprisingly Aberdare don't publish other inductance and capacitance data for the cable as QED do, but I would suspect if resistance is essentially the same, those other factors can't be massively different.

Incidentally, the Aberdare product is 72 strands of Ø0.2mm - which translates into a true material cross section of 2.26mm^2. They also do a 4mm^2 core cable too with 112 strands (calculates 3.51mm^2) and 4.96Ω/m

No idea the cost, or how well it works sonically, but selling into the industrial market as opposed to consumer market, you are not paying for marketing hype
This one?

https://www.builders.co.za/Electrical/Electrical-Cables/Pre-cut-Cable/Aberdare-APDRC05BK20-Ripcord-2-Core-Cable---Black-%2820m%29/p/000000000000309817

R4.50 a Meter vs R65 a Meter

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline jlaubza

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »

It works the same as any other pure copper cable of ultra low resistance. Cant hear any difference between this and Jamo branded OFC of same gauge. It is a bit stiffer though, which i think comes from the insulation.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2020, 08:51:59 AM »
It is actually difficult to make a low purity copper as the copper itself is extracted by electroplating.

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2020, 11:15:09 AM »
My music man, per the picture, thinks for short distances and peace of mind,
Get the QED79 vs the unknown ripcord
R300 vs R95 (in OPs length requirements),
R200 saving is a lot % wise but in absolute terms for HiFi gear it’s not. Still way cheaper than “Audiophile” cords i.e. snake oil

See from picture (though not exactly like for like), you get more copper strands in QED 79 vs the off shelf Makro/Builders ripcord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2020, 11:53:57 PM »
For non critical applications the Aberdare cable will be perfectly fine.

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2020, 11:55:38 PM »
This one?

https://www.builders.co.za/Electrical/Electrical-Cables/Pre-cut-Cable/Aberdare-APDRC05BK20-Ripcord-2-Core-Cable---Black-%2820m%29/p/000000000000309817

R4.50 a Meter vs R65 a Meter

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Nope, 0.5mm ripcord is not ideal for even moderately serious speaker applications.

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2020, 11:56:10 PM »
It is actually difficult to make a low purity copper as the copper itself is extracted by electroplating.
Unless the cable isn't copper at all but CCA.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2020, 09:15:48 AM »
Unless the cable isn't copper at all but CCA.

Dirk, I assume that most in this thread have cottoned on to CCA by now?

Offline Katji

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
^^ CCA a topic on the bassheads Fb group...but for power wiring, not speakers, iirc.

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2020, 08:03:46 PM »
Dirk, I assume that most in this thread have cottoned on to CCA by now?

It was typed with tongue firmly in cheek. Sorry if you did not notice...

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »
It was typed with tongue firmly in cheek. Sorry if you did not notice...

Name drop only, rest of the text was filler.