Author Topic: X-LS Encore Speaker build  (Read 2538 times)

Offline naboo

Re: X-LS Encore Speaker build
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2020, 06:02:02 AM »
Great build! But no comment on the sound? Did it meet expectations? That's always the big trepidation factor of DIY.. do a plankie version first (that has a nasty tendency to never get finished) or go the whole hog and keep thumbs crossed..
Thank you @pwatts . I think a lot of it depends on the other equipment (obviously) where I don't have great stereo gear. I am burning them in on my AV Yamaha, and they sound absolutely amazing to my philistine ears. There is a lot of low end and perhaps it needs more mid (again, for me).

I never had any trepidation as far as the sound quality was concerned, as the kit has many reviews and most people are very happy. I did fear that it won't work, or worse, blow up - but I think I always belived that if it worked, it should sound good, or I should go looking for the mistake.

Hope that makes sense!

Offline bbe22

« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2020, 08:17:47 AM »
   well done
  lot of low end and perhaps it needs more mid             pull them away from the walls for a listening session and see / listen again

Offline naboo

« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2020, 08:31:31 AM »
   well done
  lot of low end and perhaps it needs more mid             pull them away from the walls for a listening session and see / listen again
Thanks @bbe22 I will wait for burn in to complete and certainly do that.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
Conrats! they look good.

The way you have them placed, you can expect some modification of the midrange response. Can make voices sound anywhere between hollow and boomy. This may be your only placement option but I would recommend in any case that you experiment with how they sound free-standing. This way you will at least know to what extent that cupboard placement is affecting the sound.

Don't expect too much from burn-in. Actual changes are very small.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline DRNB

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »
Looking very good indeed.
Well done on everything, -construction, -paint and polish of the front baffle, -veneer job, it all came out stunning.  :thumbs:

Just to add on to what Shonver and bbe22 has said. Just move the speakers forward a bit, on the same rack they are at the moment, nothing extreme, and put some isolation under it, and listen again.
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline naboo

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
Thanks @Shonver and @DRNB , will try a number of different variations.