Bowers and Wilkins DM23 vs 685 vs CM6 vs 705

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince MacMahon

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Four bookshelves shootout within constraints.

Each set is in a different room with some in a compromised position. Nevertheless it was worth a listen to hear the key / core differences in these speakers. All systems are on PURE direct mode. Subwoofers are switched off for purpose of this exercise. There are many flaws in this DM23 comparison to other speakers; for what it?s worth, I got an insight into them.

These speakers are generations apart with the DM23 being approx 38 years old.

Typically I prefer bright speakers with Marantz processors/ Receivers/Amplifers.
Marantz rolls off the high frequencies early, from 14-18Hz onwards, the metal tweeters in B&W speakers compensate for this as they tend to be bright.....this deliberate combo tends to give a nice balanced sound (ie I chose these brands for the synergy they play off against each other).

The DM23, is a polyester weave tweeter material, so way different in characteristic from the current metal tweeters. CM6/705 use a similar decoupled metal tweeter.

The DM23 is a 3 way bookshelves speaker;
The rest of the other bookshelf speakers are 2 way speakers. All the speakers have the same impedance reading (8 Ohms) and the sensitivity is similar, 88/89. The crossovers are also within the same range (3700-4000hz).

The stereo imaging on CM6 S2 take the top spot, so does the sound stage but with the caveat here is the room/setup. These have been properly setup (measurements and all),
They are transparent in nature, The chain on these speaker is just different to the others. Mated to better processor/amps, cables, etc. which makes them punch way above their weight.....sweating every ounce out of them. I get to appreciate the weight from Diana Krall?s fingers on the piano and guitar strings in the ?Almost Blue? track. The 705s are very very similar to CM6. They measure the same, though cross over slightly upwardly adjusted by 300Hz in the CM6. The 705s are heavier and have a better finish imho (proper wood veneer). They are both keepers [emoji3526][emoji4][emoji6]

So coming to the reason for this exercise:
The DM23s have just been plonked onto 685 stands; so how do they stack up to a better setup speaker, that is modern too....

Well, I am pleased with the performance. the sound is good and They are mated to a cheaply Marantz NR1509. What are the first impressions? Strong mids; which I think is due to the dedicated mid-range woofer (remember this is a 3 way speaker). It has a lovely presentation to the music; it?s laid back, not too much though. fast tightly controlled bottom end and not bloated like a 685 speaker. In my assessment of B&W, I would not recommend the 600 series, they sound good if haven?t heard the siblings for extended period. Once you get accustomed to the 600s siblings, the boxiness of 600 series becomes apparent. They don?t bother me though as these are used for TV watching more than anything else. Back to the DM23, they don?t have the sparkle of the other speakers on the upper side....but it?s decent, time just goes by listening to these...they are enjoyable, they are more detailed than the 685, I played a song by Michael Jackson, speechless, which he breathes a lot when singing.....you can hear those gasps of air, far more pronounced than in the 685.

Conclusion: These DM23 are just mellow.....they say just keep playing me and enjoy the music. They don?t touch the current 705 / CM6 S2 I have ito detail, sparkle, top end, seamless delivery of the low end. I suspect they would shine even better with a different brand amplifier, I?d even go as far as a Yamaha could be better than Marantz on these speakers.

For the price paid, the performance is more than acceptable and one would go as far as saying, you?d have to spend a bit to beat the performance. So for speakers that are less than R5k, they are well worth it! They are better than the 685s by a mile. They do have that ?warm? sound signature to them. [emoji6] I won?t keep them because of not being bright enough to match my warm sounding Amps. When I sell them,I?ll sell for what I paid and courier fees.

This sort of makes me want to review delving into Vintage stuff as they are known for a ?warm? Sound, will see, to get rid of FOMO, I will forge ahead and get a vintage system.

Thanks for reading and
Enjoy the music.

Until next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts