Advice on first setup please

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutom

Reaction score
Hi guys! Been reading through many posts for the last few weeks before I joined, some great info here!!!

Anyway, I bought my first amp second hand from a friend that had it lying around for several years after he upgraded. It's basically been used for about 6 months so I thought it would be a good buy.

It's a yamaha RX-V459, 90w x 6. I know I should have thought about whether I wanted to go surround or stereo before hand, but I didn't think at the time hahaha.

Anyways, seeing as that I like doing thigs right the first time round, I'm looking for some main front speakers to get me going and then add as I go along. I was thinking of getting some floor standing speakers for now that will give me a little bass etc. I went to a local av shop and listened to the paradigm cinema phantom floor standing speakers and the Titan something series speakers. The titans don't have a lot of bass compared to that of the phantoms so I am leaning towards the phantoms.

I will probably add a centre and a woofer later, but money ATM will not allow extra speaker purchases.

I'm hoping that 5k will get me something nice as a starter. I was looking at the wharfedale 9.5 and read reviews. Great responses. But I am nervous that if I add any speaker later that I wont be happy with their performance. I don't know, you're the experts Hahahaha

What would you guys recommend I get, I'm looking for something that will carry me through until ibeventually decide to upgrade the amp to something more specific to my needs when I eventually decide what they are hahaha....

So 5k is the budget, any other recommendations that I might want to look at beside the paradigms? I am in east London, so my choices are limited when it comes to actually auditioning other brands unfortunately.

I hope you guys will be able to assist.

TIA
Bruce