Author Topic: Setting up a NAS using Ubuntu Server  (Read 20190 times)

Offline ara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Setting up a NAS using Ubuntu Server
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
Natively? I didn't know that...

At what point did I give you the impression I'm an expert? :D I don't even know what rSync is :D :D :D I must admit, as I understand Linux better I find there's more things I tend to do in the CLI than using a pretty GUI. Besides, real men type, they don't click.

It's not "entirely" natively but it perform very well. rSync is a differential sync service that will say look evey 15 minutes to see what computer location is available and backup the information to a place you designate. It is very quick as it does a true differential backup. Well I read your link and it was done very well. Just like you would expect from an expert. Nice and easy to follow.

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
FreeNAS performance

77032055 B/s = 75,226 KB/s = 73.47MB/s

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 06:32:14 PM »
Well I read your link and it was done very well. Just like you would expect from an expert. Nice and easy to follow.

I'll take that as a compliment then :)

FreeNAS performance

77032055 B/s = 75,226 KB/s = 73.47MB/s

That's pretty good actually. I never got past around 55MB/s using FreeNAS on a Realtek NIC. You using an Intel NIC? If so, which one?
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »
I'll take that as a compliment then :)

That's pretty good actually. I never got past around 55MB/s using FreeNAS on a Realtek NIC. You using an Intel NIC? If so, which one?

Will check the NIC and yes def. a compliment. And they thought there was going to be a fight   :D ;D

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 08:30:19 PM »
I'm curious - why's you use SAMBA rather than NFS?  Guess you're sharing with Windows OS' somewhere?
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline GearSlave

• AVForums Veteran
    • Studio B
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »
Because I'm still a Linux virgin, all the desktops and laptops here run Windows.

Online gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »
gbyleveldt, interesting thread.
Only stumbled across it now...
Can RAID 5 array not rather be formatted ext4? As it should yield better performance?

Not that gbyleveldt howto is not well thought out,  a newbie might like the below TurnKey appliance more although it still needs Squeezebox server.
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/fileserver

NFS support can even be handy with ESX/i datastors... or Windows Server with Windows services for Unix (SFU) as apposed to SMB/SAMBA...

Offline GearSlave

• AVForums Veteran
    • Studio B
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »
Thanks Gavin, that is an interesting link.

For my purposes, I was trying to stay away from any 'boutique' distributions and rather wanted to stick to something more universal. This way I'm not at the mercy of something that'll fall out of favour in future. But I'm also a bit of a propellerhead and like to tinker, another reason to do it from scratch.

I've also not spent too much time looking into ext4. I kinda stick to things I now when I know very little ;) and didn't want to risk the data on newer technologies. ext3 works for me and I've got more than enough performance, but I will look into ext4 in future as well.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:14:30 PM by gbyleveldt »

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »
Nice guide, just installing Ubuntu Server on a 4GB memory stick plugged into the MicroServer's motherboard.  Must add, the MicroServer's a pretty nifty little package.

Quick question if I may - the SBS database is unlikely to be static for long, I'm thinking it'd be better to house it on a HDD, and guessing the easiest way to do that is to link the DB files on the memory stick to the real McCoy which one can dump in a folder of one's choosing?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:18:32 PM by audiomuze »
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline GearSlave

• AVForums Veteran
    • Studio B
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest. The logs are written to very frequently, you don't add music to your db that often to be of concern.

Also, with the newer USB sticks it's become superfluous really to use a RAM drive because of the wear levelling they use.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »
Do lots of tag editing, also participating in a project that entails building many additional tables in SBS and generates 1000's of records. Now I think about it, the 4GB memory stick isn't going to suffice, so I'm going to have to make a plan.

Offline GearSlave

• AVForums Veteran
    • Studio B
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »
It just so happens that Cyberdyne's having a special on 16GB SSD's for R550 incl. This might just be the solution for you?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »
^^^ going to see if I can get links going first.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »
I'm in total awe of what's happening here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:00:38 AM by gbyleveldt »
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:25 AM »
It just so happens that Cyberdyne's having a special on 16GB SSD's for R550 incl. This might just be the solution for you?
Just thinking this one through, it's not going to be an option as I've 5x2TB drives going into the Microserver.  I can either revert to using one of the drives as OS & data or I can use a symlink to point SBS's cache folder to one of the 2TB drives.

BTW, know much about LVM - planning on using it to pool all the 2TB drives as a single logical volume.  My question is, if the memory stick fails, do I need black magic & voodoo to resurrect the drive contents or wil the drives stand alone without LVM.  I'm guessing it's the latter, just haven't had a chance to do the reading yet?