Author Topic: Denon AVR & Sony BR Player: No Changes but Suddenly No Sound from Blu-Ray Player  (Read 1006 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
Can you check that the HDCP handshake is taking place?
Itís possible that the AVR is not passing this through

I think another tech-savvy head should have a look.  Pity Iím in CT
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Steve

Can you check that the HDCP handshake is taking place?
Itís possible that the AVR is not passing this through

I think another tech-savvy head should have a look.  Pity Iím in CT
How can I check that?

Offline Steve

An update here: I've used the optical port on the back of BR player directly into the AVR - the sound is back.

I'm still determined to get to the bottom of the no-sound-via-HDMI issue, though, so if anyone has any ideas about how to rid myself of it, I'm all ears!

Offline Steve

Further update: the optical cable solved the sound issue but something else incredibly irritating has reared its head. Every time I rewind the BR player and press play, the AVR changes mode to TV Audio (ARC). This happens on every occasion without fail. I suspect I need to fiddle with the TV's settings.

To add to the original problem: the entire issue, including the update in this post, never occurred with the Samsung LED TV I used previously. In fact, the problem never occurred with the LG OLED before, say, two months ago.

I'm still hugely puzzled and am open to any ideas and help from anyone at this point.

Offline Steve

I still haven't been able to resolve this issue.

I should add a note on another strange occurrence since the firmware update to the AVR: after pausing and rewinding using the BR Player's remote, when I press the Play button, the AVR's input jumps straight back to TV Audio, as if the AVR is expecting an input from the TV's native Netflix or Prime Video apps. This happens every single time the pause-rewind-play motion happens with the BR Player...

I remain flumoxxed.

Offline robertl

Maybe changing out the HDMI cable for
another one, might help, they like giving problems
Just my two cents

Offline Steve

Maybe changing out the HDMI cable for
another one, might help, they like giving problems
Just my two cents
That was one of the first things I tried, Robert, but thanks for the guidance. Even using the same HDMI cable to connect directly to the TV produces both video and audio. This weekend, I'm going to remove the TV from the equation and replace it with my bedroom TV to see what effect that has, if any.

Offline XL1000

There were a batch of Sony players that were bricked after a firmware update that occurred automatically.
Sad but nothing you can do.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Steve

There were a batch of Sony players that were bricked after a firmware update that occurred automatically.
Sad but nothing you can do.
Really? When did this happen? Reason I ask is that my player was never connected to the web and there hasn't been a firmware update released for it since 2014. I updated my player years ago and when I recently tried to update the firmware as part of this troubleshooting process, it was up-to-date.

I suspect that a firmware update to the AVR caused this problem.

Offline Steve

A further update:

A forum member very generously offered his Samsung BD player, which was for sale and has since been sold, to me for testing purposes.

When the Samsung BD player is plugged into the 'DVD/Blu-Ray' HDMI input on the AVR, both sound and video are present. It seems that it's my Sony BD player which is causing the loss of audio. The reason for the sudden loss of audio from the Sony remains unknown...

However, the sudde/uncontrolled TV Audio switching still occurred when the Samsung BD player was plugged into the 'DVD/Blu-Ray' HDMI input under exactly the same conditions as when the Sony BD player was plugged into the same input. When I moved the Samsung BD player over to the 'Blu-Ray' HDMI input, the sudden TV Audio switching issue no longer occurred and both video and audio were present. It seems that the TV Audio switching problem is on the AVR's side.

Homemation wants to have a look at the AVR to investigate further as they've never encountered this problem before.