Denon AVR & Sony BR Player: No Changes but Suddenly No Sound from Blu-Ray Player

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

AVForums Member
Reaction score
It's the most bizarre thing...

Setup is as follows:
  • AVR: Denon AVR-X1200W;
  • Blu-Ray Player - Sony BDP-S490; and
  • TV: LG OLED connected to the AVR via ARC

Last night, I wanted to play a Blu-Ray disc using the BR player. Loaded up the disc and plenty of video but no sound. The BR player is linked to the AVR via HDMI. I last used the BR player a month or so ago without any trouble. I haven't changed anything since then, bar a firmware update on the AVR, I think.

I've checked the following:
  • BR player directly into TV: lots of sound through the AVR;
  • Swap HDMI inputs on the back of the AVR: the PS4 produces sound when connected to the PS4-assigned HDMI input AND when swapped over to the BR player-assigned input. The BR player produces no sound when connected to either the PS4-assigned HDMI input or the BR player-assigned input.
  • New HDMI cable: I used a new HDMI lead from the BR player to the BR player-assigned input and the PS4-assigned input. Still no sound.

What's baffling is that no physical changes have been made since I last used the BR player and it was working perfectly at that time. What gives?

Latest posts