Primary wires to output transformer - which to twist together?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qualityten

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I built a clone of the Mars EL84 P-P amplifier. I admire the look and neatness of his chassis layout, so I studied and followed the pictures given here: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,66441.0.html

I later removed the tranformers from that build and to use on a Dynaco SCA-35 restoration.

Returning to this build with different UL output transformers, I was a bit surprised to see that I had twisted the two screen grid wires together and the two anode connections together for each side of the amp. Rechecking the pics linked to above, I see that's what Karel has done.

I'm very much still a learner, and would appreciate understanding what the thinking is behind this. Does it reduce hum more than if the wires from pins 7 and 9 of each valve are twisted together themselves?

Greetings from the UK and good wishes to all for these tough times. I had the privilege of visiting Karel in June last year. How different this year has been.