Author Topic: Can one over treat the room  (Read 1531 times)

Offline AlleyCat

Re: Can one over treat the room
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 08:35:09 PM »
^^^ It's common that once the bass has been treated and performs well , the biggest benefit and one that is easily recognizable, is the improvement in the mids and tops.

It is easy to ignore this, whereas that should be one of the first areas to look at, then know that the bass is improving.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 08:47:51 PM »
^^^ It's common that once the bass has been treated and performs well , the biggest benefit and one that is easily recognizable, is the improvement in the mids and tops.

It is easy to ignore this, whereas that should be one of the first areas to look at, then know that the bass is improving.

I thinks thatís the case here
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers, 685 and 686 Surrounds, CCM In ceilings| Optoma UHD40|Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver| Nvidia Shield

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 10:29:27 AM »
My demo room 2 is over treated and i actually use it to show why its a problem.

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 11:11:11 AM »
My demo room 2 is over treated and i actually use it to show why its a problem.

Hi Morne. You are like me who is drinking all the alcohol to show others how bad alcohol can be 🤣🤣🤣. Iím just joking. Do you mind giving dimensions and description of your room and what was done to it to get to a state of over treatment
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers, 685 and 686 Surrounds, CCM In ceilings| Optoma UHD40|Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver| Nvidia Shield

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 06:40:43 PM »
Hi Morne. You are like me who is drinking all the alcohol to show others how bad alcohol can be 🤣🤣🤣. Iím just joking. Do you mind giving dimensions and description of your room and what was done to it to get to a state of over treatment

Look its good with certain things but it kills others.
Room is 4x4
Bass traps in corners and defusers and absorption panels all along the walls with thick carpets. No windows.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »
I had a listen and took some quick measurements of this room: The lows are very, very tight.

It's a great multi-channel room with some remaining comb filtering but a bit on the dry side for music with RT60s sub 250ms with a bit of excess at 3kHz around 350ms.

There is a flutter echo audible especially at the back of the room. For social ambience it does stand out clearly though so I arranged some MDF BAD panels for him to play around with as a flutter buster or as cover for wall panels.

Overall a very nice starting point which with some careful tweaks to the acoustic treatment and speaker positioning holds potential for a great sounding room.

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »
Thanks @Timber_MG for coming through. Actually thanks for your advice from the beginning. Itís so amazing to see what can be done with good guidance. Iíll play around this week and do some of the tweets your suggested  and see what happens

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 08:09:48 PM »
Pity I was so rushed for time. I'd say start with the flutter echo and see where on your side walls best addresses it (cheap). Nobody will be around to judge you hanging BAD facings with a washing line ;-) Then small movements of the L/R to see whether one can get a bit more body in the low mid (free). The RT60 can be shifted back to live reasonably simply with the facing of the panels we identified and then you can look at creating a more spacious sound by redirecting some of the energy at the listening area. Plenty of lockdown fun.

Online SarelLouw

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2020, 04:05:05 PM »
I've been reading a lot on room treatment lately as I'm about to embark on this journey. I saw a couple of interesting videos, some of them in mixing studios, where guys cover the front of an absorption panel with plastic then a cloth on top so that the plastic reflects back high frequencies then the rest of the panel absorbs below frequencies. They do this to avoid killing the sound. Obviously this is only applied where you only want to absorb low frequencies, you wouldn't use the plastic technique on first reflections.

I bought a roll of rockwool which I'll be doing a lot of experiments with. I'll try different techniques and take measurements for each.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk
Any shareable results from your tests yet?

Offline cybasoul

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »
Any shareable results from your tests yet?
Not yet, the roll is still sealed

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk