Author Topic: Cable length  (Read 637 times)

Offline LourensC

Cable length
« on: June 18, 2020, 11:20:20 AM »
Hi,

I'm wondering:

If cables make a difference and the point is to have as pure a signal as is possible why don't we make our interconnects as short as possible?  If a cable has a negative impact on the sound wouldn't a cable half as long cause half the degradation of the signal and be twice as good? 

I'm sure I can get away with some of my interconnects being less than 30cm long.  Would replacing the longer cables with shorter ones of the same quality improve my system? It would sure as hell make it much neater.
Tiger got to hunt,
Bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'

Tiger got to sleep,
Bird got to land,
Man got to tell himself he understand.

Offline Vince MacMahon

Cable length
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »
I like correct size cables for neatness,

In the normal home distances, a 2m vs 1m doesn’t have any audible differences, so a 1m vs a 0.3m would be similar ito differences.

For neatness +1

Most problems with size is buying off a shelf vs custom made. For those sizes, you best contact Hi-Phibian for a custom size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Online Cuco

Re: Cable length
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 09:28:04 AM »
The cable length is proportional to the capacity of snake oil contained. Thus, the sound quality will deteriorate with decreasing cable length.

Offline georgev

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
The cable length is proportional to the capacity of snake oil contained. Thus, the sound quality will deteriorate with decreasing cable length.

I absolutely love this. :point:
" For by Grace you have been saved through Faith..............It is the free gift of God". Ephesians 2: 8-9

Offline DKNY

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »
I think for stereo the shorter the higher the quality and the more economical if you are looking at the high end cables. 2.5 to 3 m is what I consider practical for my set up as I sometimes want to move the speakers a bit. I know moving the speaker frequently is not recommended by I have to work around some practical constraints .

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 04:17:21 PM »
Capacitance will increase with length, but for the relatively short lengths in home setups it's a non-issue.

For digital coax there are apparently optimal lengths but I can't validate the sciency-ness of it: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/16781-minimum-length-for-75937-coax-cable-revisited/#:~:text=In%20a%20nutshell%2C%20the%20traditionalists,the%20signal%20is%201.5%20meters..

Mobile: LG V60, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD600