Author Topic: Pre-sensitised PCB  (Read 357 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Pre-sensitised PCB
« on: June 15, 2020, 02:30:13 PM »
I would like to know from peeps who etch their own PCBs: what kinds of pre-sensitised PCB are available locally? Positive or negative? What kind of developer do you use?

Thanks.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline DACMan1

Re: Pre-sensitised PCB
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 03:17:05 PM »
I am assuming you have a good reason not to just go with something like JLCPCB?

I use Press-and-Peel blue with a laser printer. If done correctly, it is a lot simpler than exposures, but it takes some effort to master. You also don't need lithography negatives (laser on transparencies are not good enough for quality etches IMO).

My PCBs usually have traces down to 0.3mm.

I use FeCl - Cupric Chloride is just too dangerous to handle/I am not careful enough...

Offline Baine Bloodhoof

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 12:39:49 AM »
Personally I have used the iron on method for all my projects. My current build, used the iron on method

For photo resist, have a look here

https://www.fort777.co.za/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=813_848_849_1007
“Perhaps I am inclined to prejudge, I think better of the tauren than I do of orcs.”

Offline PhillipJ

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 01:03:50 AM »
This is "Old School COOL!!!"  ;D

I personally do not have time to do my boards that way but MUCH respect for doing it like that  :thumbs:

CERN still used hand made PCB's until VERY recently:
https://hackaday.com/2020/06/12/how-cern-made-high-quality-electronics-in-the-1970s/

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 11:00:10 AM »
It's amazing how cheaply one can get boards made professionally in China. Local PCB manufacturers only survive due to the general goodwill of the industry. It would be nice, though, to be able to make a quick PCB in the garage or kitchen exactly when you need it.

This is "Old School COOL!!!"  ;D

I personally do not have time to do my boards that way but MUCH respect for doing it like that  :thumbs:

CERN still used hand made PCB's until VERY recently:
https://hackaday.com/2020/06/12/how-cern-made-high-quality-electronics-in-the-1970s/

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 02:30:26 PM »
It's amazing how cheaply one can get boards made professionally in China. Local PCB manufacturers only survive due to the general goodwill of the industry. It would be nice, though, to be able to make a quick PCB in the garage or kitchen exactly when you need it.

This is exactly why I make my own - by the time the PCBs arrive from China, I've lost almost all interest in the project. If I want to build something, I want it now!

Offline Baine Bloodhoof

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »
https://www.pcbway.com/

Quite good, lots of DIYforum pcb's available here
“Perhaps I am inclined to prejudge, I think better of the tauren than I do of orcs.”

Offline pwatts

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 11:07:34 PM »
This is exactly why I make my own - by the time the PCBs arrive from China, I've lost almost all interest in the project. If I want to build something, I want it now!

The Chinese PCB guys are very often just middlemen for panellizing with massive factories - that's why there's such a huge premium when going off the norm with laminate/copper thickness etc.
This is easily visible just by the PCB markings - the business model differ between the middlemen and one just has to choose the one that suits the application of product vs. cost vs. quantity etc. the best.
Lately, I've discovered that PCBWay is very suitable, mostly because they offer very good pricing with FedEx. DHL is horrendous to deal with and they somehow managed to get very good FedEx pricing. Depending on project, one can bargain on 2weeks from submission until receiving boards, which is not bad.

Offline peterc

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »
I buy my PCB stock from Traill Tech in Fourways JHB. Very reasonably priced and they have lots of options, SS, DS, 35u, 70u, drill bits, etchant, etc. Negative process PCBs.

I print my foils on inkjet overhead transparencies and they work fine. Single sheet, use high quality paper monochrome settings on a cheap Canon. My smallest tracks are only .5mm though, between IC pins. Have never tried smaller than that.

If I mess up a PCB, I have got to the stage where I know that it is my own fault and not the tools. I only do single sided, whic is probably a bit silly, but so be it.

Hope this helps. Peter