Author Topic: Mantech Cape Town - bad experience  (Read 1105 times)

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
Re: Mantech Cape Town - bad experience
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2020, 06:29:43 PM »
Mantech Durban was also very disappointing to me about four years back, young inexperienced counter-sales personell lacking any customer service manners and ethics...sorry to say. A youngster looks at my short list of potentiometers, puts the list down and walks away,..no communication or eye contact..nothing... never to return. I waited, thought he went to get my parts. It was a good 15 minutes when another person appeared. On my enquiry about what just happened, all he said was that the person "cannot" help me. The attitude seemed as if they were doing us a favour.

I can say that 20-25 years ago their service in Durban was excellent with an older generation of sales people with ethics and manners which would put the next generation (as experienced) to shame. I dealt with some honourable people there and they kept the flag flying high back then. Hopefully things have changed since my last experience.

Unrelated to the Mantech topic:

Another great place back then was Ron Tomlin Electronics in St. Georges Steet in Durban (the guy with a higher-octave sounding voice) along with A1 Radio (still great service people there!), along with a few other places in the greater area, Electrocompt Pinetown comes to mind...all good customer service experiences then.

I miss APON / AP Electronics (Comissioner Street ?) and TV Audio (Louis Botha Ave, near Orange Grove) in Jhb.

Mail order experiences back then was with Maplin in Cape Town and RS Components Jhb,  where we were transacting with postal orders as payment....gone are those days, but some good memories there !  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 06:52:20 PM by marantz123 »

Offline udwadia

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »
Mantech is awfully sloppy.  Went over in person , ordered an item and was expecting a call to collect within a week.  Months have passed. Complete silence, completely black background , no hum , no hiss , infinitely low noise floor.  But Iím not describing a top notch Hifi system.  Their telephone lines exhibit the same character.   Please donít blame COVID for downright terrible service.

Offline gapco

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 09:01:26 PM »
Has anyone spoken to the owners of Mantech about their experiences ? It does no good posting the bad experiences here. How else are they to improve things they may not be aware of ? Yes I too have had bad service from both Mantech and RS Components but the owners and managers got to hear about it.
Give me an espresso and nobody gets hurt....

Offline d0dja

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 10:08:34 PM »
I had a meeting w the MD of RS. Very reasonable guy, good meeting. Except nothing at all changed.

Offline HB

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 10:33:11 PM »
Yip and a contributing factor is staff (in some cases)  get paid  :cr@p: plus comission.  So if they see you come in with a list of 5 R10.00 items their will to serve you dwindles.
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take it!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 08:00:13 AM »
I regularly buy from Mantech in JHB, but only via courier delivery, which is painless. On the few occasions that I did go to the store personally, it was a long drawn-out process but mail order is quick and their quote is sent usually within a couple of hours of my request. I do the payment and the goods are shipped within 24 hours.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+158)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »
It is of course not only Mantech who seem disinterested in sales

There is a large electrical supplier near me who have been in business since 1939 when the founder arrived from Lithuania.   They gradually became complacent and acted as if they had a monopoly in the domestic and light industrial electrical supply business

It was gradually deteriorating until they had a bad fire in their store, caused by a staff member passing out with a lit cigarette in his mouth.  It was quickly discovered that they were under-insured.   The owner at the time had not visited the business for months and only found out when he got a call from the bank the following week

He more or less gave up and his nephew took over

They moved to a newly renovated showroom, separated the lighting and wholesale division and have been easing out the staff who exhibit a bad attitude or simply ignore customers who walk in.   This helped a fair bit, but the big improvement came after 16 cameras were installed at the sales counter and in the stores.   A few employee hearings soon sorted out the laggards and today it is not yet perfect but much better.  It also helps that there are similar suppliers not 5 mins away from this company
Music is the shorthand of emotion