The John Ireland Mystery

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMX1

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I am the biggest John Ireland fan.  I was introduced to his music when I was very young. It was a simpler time and the only music I had access to was cassette tapes left behind by my older brothers who left home for National Service.

The album that I had was the one featuring ?I like?? - with the seashell on the cover.  I sat at night in my dad?s car listening to his great voice and incredible synth sounds.  I took the tape with me to police college in 1991 where it got lost.

When Compact Discs came out, I expected the album to be released, but it never was.  I even tried to phone record companies to find out why.  At that time, I knew very little about the man whose music meant so much to me.

With the internet I learnt more about Dr John Griffith who performed as the artist John Ireland, but I could never determine why his music was never released on CD (?I like? and ?Living Inside my Head? did appear on compilations). He seems to be very disconnected from his musical past.  The master recordings of his music must be somewhere and it hurts me that it may be lost forever.  At least I own the vinyl and some would argue that it should be enough.

In a way John Ireland is my Sugarman.