Author Topic: Oppo: any good?  (Read 44519 times)

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Oppo: any good?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:44:49 PM »
The local dealer has been asked about his high markups so often that he's quite defensive, nearly combative about it - even had a disclaimer on his website. Dunno why he has high overheads as he seems to operate from a small flat in the affordable part of CT.

Offline Stefan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
The local dealer has been asked about his high markups so often that he's quite defensive, nearly combative about it - even had a disclaimer on his website. Dunno why he has high overheads as he seems to operate from a small flat in the affordable part of CT.

Also remember that the local dealer will not get it at the $999 you are looking at but at a dealer discount.  So the margin is even higher.

There is of course the old story of dealers/importers carrying stock, but how often do you have to wait for a 'new' shipment/stock to arrive? So, the dealer is basically doing what you can do for yourself at a very 'small' fee!
(Insert inspirational quote)

Offline mickyc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »
For the record, the OPPO-93EU goes for 499 in the UK, which includes 20% VAT. if you are able have one shipped from there and save yourself the VAT it would be even cheaper.

Also, from what i understand, the BluRay zone is still not multizone, which would be a problem if you buy one in the US, no?

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »
Also, from what i understand, the BluRay zone is still not multizone, which would be a problem if you buy one in the US, no?

Good point, mickyc! I should find out about that.

Offline mickyc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »
what can i say, i am a born online shopper....

Offline mickyc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 07:47:50 AM »
I have contacted an authorised Dealer in the UK that sells the EU93, who sells 2 versions, one is multi zone for DVD and zone locked for BluRay for 499, while the other is multi zone for DVD and you can manually change the blue ray region for 599.

probably worht the extra 100 in my mind to be able to play both US and UK/SA blue rays

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Flying High, Digging Low
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »

Now a house in Noordhoek ;)
Don't take life too seriously, you will not make it out alive.....

(Location Cape Town)

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 08:00:45 AM »
Now a house in Noordhoek ;)

No doubt because of the markups :D
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline ara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »
You can also just buy from the USA and chip it your self.

http://bluraychip.dk/

Offline ViVoAudio

• Commercial Member
    • vivoaudio
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »
Just asked OPPO that per email yesterday
Exactly what they said, they called it ' hardware unlock'
If its music you want to hear 

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
No doubt because of the markups :D

Guys don't bash this guy. Maybe he's not really greedy. Maybe he's just shirt scared of being poor!

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »
Guys don't bash this guy. Maybe he's not really greedy. Maybe he's just shirt scared of being poor!

Or perhaps he thinks the best way of giving is receiving.

Offline chrisg

• AVForums Member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »
I had my Oppo BDP-83 bought locally 2 years back from authorized dealer in CT. I new I could get it from overseas cheaper but...decided to pay more and have multizone/multiregion hardware conversion already installed. Also I did not have time to wait for overseas delivery and purchase hardware unlock separately, then fit it in, etc... Would I do it again, probably not. I would rather go on-line purchase route and took associated risk considering substantial savings.
I do not get that much excited about SA audio equipment pricing. If any particular retailer sells for price I consider too high or outrageous, I simply don't buy from him and look for alternative source. If he manages to sell and sustain sales at such high price, well, good for him. It means he did his market research well and sells for price public is willing to pay. If he cannot sell at high price, then he has to either drop a price or drop a product.
I think consumer situation in SA is getting better and better due to international on-line shopping. Sure, not all audio goods are available for on-line purchase but most of them are, with exception of some very high end products. But those who can afford multi thousand dollar price probably can afford equivalent multi thousand rand price from local reseller.

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
I just ordered the Oppo BDP-95EU with a multi-region/multi-zone modification for R8k from England.

For those who are interested in the specs and pictures of this universal player, see:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/oppo-bdp-93
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/blu-ray-BDP-95-Images.aspx

Offline Ian

• AVForums Member
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 07:29:06 PM »
I just ordered the Oppo BDP-95EU with a multi-region/multi-zone modification for R8k from England.

For those who are interested in the specs and pictures of this universal player, see:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/oppo-bdp-93
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/blu-ray-BDP-95-Images.aspx

Hi Audio Bug If you dont mind sharing Could you let us know how much shipping, Import/Customs and VAT you have to pay locally. Sounds a great buy When you get it I would love to hear your opinions of it especially playing cd's via the balanced connections.
Cheers Ian