The relative advantages of lugs and solder... A study in connectivity

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer for wiring up DIY speaker internals?

• Lugs

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Soldering

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

alternativeroute

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sound academic enough for ya ;-)

Shonver said:
About the lugs: I prefer them; they make a better contact than solder, depending on their quality. If the lug goes on breaking the surface (cutting into it) it is better than solder.

Anyone who follows this board might have seen the post from Shonver above...

Got me thinking of the electrical techies that I have come across in the past. The first was a fellow I shared a house with in London who was a telecommunication tech. Chatting about his work, what i found interesting was that most of the faults that he attended to almost never had to do with continuity problems with cable but almost always problems with bum and/or intermittent connections. Showing me around the telephone wiring for the house he pointed out these funny gel type connectors that they use there. (looking around here they seem to use chocolate blocks). Anyway the purpose of the gel is to protect the connection from oxygen thus corrosion and failed connections that can follow...

The second was a frustrated Eskom techie (he had some horror stories of the incompetence's happening in our favourite (make that only) power utility... He helped me with a bum connection to my alternator that was stopping the battery from being fully charged. Part of his on-the-road armory was a spray that he used. The purpose of the spray was the same as that of the gel: to protect the connection from oxygen thus corrosion...

For me the ultimate connection then for speakers (internally) would be to use quality crimp on lugs then as a precaution to dot some solder on the connection and then to heat-wrap the connection. Then to attach the lug to the speaker securely (getting Shonver's cutting in effect). Again a dot of solder to protect the connection from the elements.

Does that sound like overkill or logical reasoning and methodology?

In terms of serviceability in a few years time the drivers can still be disconnected with relative ease....

Latest posts