Author Topic: IEM & DAP CONVERSATIONS  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Momo

IEM & DAP CONVERSATIONS
« on: June 03, 2020, 09:12:59 AM »
It seems that on this forum not many people are interested in IEM or DAP conversations,i just read a thread that was last posted October 2019.This is sad.

Offline naughty

Re: IEM & DAP CONVERSATIONS
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 09:24:35 AM »
its easy to sort this out - just post something about your own IEM and DAP experiences - and others will follow once they realize that there is interest  ;) - was gonna post some impressions of my Fiio M11 - will get onto it soon

Offline Momo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 09:26:10 AM »
Naughty i know you are always up to the task  :rubhands:
I have fiio fh7 so i could try and give feedback on the IEM if anyone is looking at getting a pair.

Offline naughty

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 09:29:57 AM »
Naughty i know you are always up to the task  :rubhands:
I have fiio fh7 so i could try and give feedback on the IEM if anyone is looking at getting a pair.

would love to read your impressions of the Fiio FH7 - was very interested in getting those but due to lockdown expenditure i may have to put those plans on hold a bit longer than i would have liked - but i'm now a DAP and IEM fan because my M11 and KZ As16 combo works brilliantly well especially after adding UAPP onto the M11 and finding some great settings for the EQ for each of my headphones/IEMs (including those HE4xx i got from you  :thumbs:)

Offline Momo

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 10:08:44 AM »
FH7 is very impressive and it gets better the more you listen to it.Burn in is essential as initially it sounded a bit harsh in the treble areas and the bass was lighter then expected.But once burned in things settle down.For me personally the extra filters are not necessary the reference filter is the best.The bass is extremely good no bloatiness & no bass bleed.Its more quality over quantity sometimes i feel i want slightly more especially on dance tracks,pop music where the energy is fast but when i listen to Jazz,vocals classical i realise just how well it does with bass instruments.I was listening to Brian Culbertson last night -Sexy love from his new album XX and the kickdrum is so pronounced that it brings a smile to my face..Bass has very good rumble as well(Sub bass) when the song calls for it but it will in no-way make itself known when the track doesnt call for it.Midrange is very good Anoushka Shankars voice sounds so lovely on her new ep i especially love the song with Ibeyi-loveable.Treble is very well extended if the song has micro detail you will hear every bit of it even with songs you think you know very well.

PS.i have the upgraded 2.5d cable and it makes an appreciable difference over the stock 3.5mm

I would say that i wouldnt pair this IEM with a bright source/dap something neutral would be best.I havent listened to the fh7 & m11 but i have read reviews that suggest they dont pair as well as most people would assume.

If i could afford it i would prefer an Ibasso dx220 for this IEM.

Offline naughty

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »
so it seems i am probably better off looking for other IEMs - was also looking at the Hifiman RE800 with some interest too - might try that out instead of the FH7 but its only a single dynamic driver for the entire frequency range - im kind of getting used to balanced armature - another interesting thing to maybe try out might be some of those new planar magnetic IEMs - saw the Shuoer Tape and was keeping an eye on the reviews of those

Offline gLer

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 01:26:22 PM »
If you enjoy your bass and want a warmer presentation to go with the neutral M11, consider the FiiO FH5. Still one of my fave IEMs and can be had for a steal on the used market (overseas of course). The FH7 is more refined and linear, but also more neutral and brighter, so not the best match for the M11 unless you enjoy your music brighter/leaner (which many people do). 

Offline Momo

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »
If you enjoy your bass and want a warmer presentation to go with the neutral M11, consider the FiiO FH5. Still one of my fave IEMs and can be had for a steal on the used market (overseas of course). The FH7 is more refined and linear, but also more neutral and brighter, so not the best match for the M11 unless you enjoy your music brighter/leaner (which many people do).

+1

Offline Momo

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 10:05:08 PM »
Lately i feel wanting more from my dap in terms of resolution, i love the fiio fh7s to bit. I have had my astell and kern ak70 for 3 years perhaps its time to upgrade, any thoughts dapophiles  :pleasant:

Offline gLer

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 10:18:00 PM »
Lately i feel wanting more from my dap in terms of resolution, i love the fiio fh7s to bit. I have had my astell and kern ak70 for 3 years perhaps its time to upgrade, any thoughts dapophiles  :pleasant:
What's your budget?

Offline Momo

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 10:36:07 PM »
Is there really a budget for these things, ofcourse 2nd hand there are always deals to be made which is my preferred market  :groovy:

Offline naughty

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 11:15:53 PM »
Well what's the bottom line as to what you willing to spend - I suppose a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch is out of the question? :thumbs:

Offline ron g

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 07:06:50 AM »
Well what's the bottom line as to what you willing to spend - I suppose a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch is out of the question? :thumbs:

touch is an amazing piece of kit - well worth buying if you are serious about dap / iems & have the budget.

however, the lotoo paw gold may well be worth looking at as an alternative.
although i have not heard it myself, it is apparently as good as the touch in terms of sound quality, but lacks some of the functionality.
it is the same price as the paw 6000 at cplan. to my ear, there is a significant difference in sound quality between the paw 6000 & the touch.

& you sit there in the rubble, till it starts to feel like home
mary gauthier

Offline naughty

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 11:12:58 AM »
Thanks for that heads-up Ron - could save someone a huge whack of money  :thumbs:

Offline gLer

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 02:35:37 PM »
Hi @Momo - I've jotted down a few impressions of some rather awesome DAPs here: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,89115.0.html