ZRT Curve project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Visor57

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
At long last I'm posting some progress on my ZRT build, dubbed the "ZRT Curve" :) This is my first project build on this fine forum and while it's long overdue, it wouldn't have come this close to reality without the generosity and efforts from other forum members; thanks Stu and Ian ;)

The original idea behind this project was to simply reproduce the original ZRT designed by Zaph Audio, but this soon changed to something a little more ambitious and eventually resulted in this basic concept featuring curved side panels:

ZRT%20Curve%20v3.16.1.png

(Click for full size image)

Obviously there are far simpler ways to achieve curved panels, for example kerfing, but I felt like trying a different approach using laminated 6mm MDF. I can tell you already that it's a helluva lot more work but I'm hoping the results will make up for it; if anything it's a good learning experience ;)

So far I have just about all the MDF and parts required to complete the project, with some fabrication and testing taking place upfront to ensure that machining and assembly takes place without too many screw-ups. One of the challenges of this design is ensuring that the cross-braces for each enclosure are properly aligned during assembly, which means I need to form and set the curved side panels prior to assembly. Initial tests have shown that 6mm MDF is still pretty stiff and doesn't like to be shoehorned into a curved groove; the result is a curved panel but you may end up with a few missing teeth in the process, it also turns cross-brace alignment into a wrestling match which is no good.

Boot full of MDF:
IMG_2376.JPG

MDF stack destined for the ZRT enclosures:
IMG_2399.JPG

Cross-brace test cuts using prepared routing jig (partially visible below the cross-brace):
IMG_2539.JPG

Custom clamps for preparing curved panels:
IMG_2543.JPG

[edit: sorry, my linked images from Picasa aren't showing up for some reason...]
[edit update: fixed images ;) )

Latest posts