Author Topic: Exchange_&_Covid19 Havoc - A window of opportunity for local manufacturers?  (Read 876 times)

Offline Jozua_2019

I am a little concerned when I hear:

a) Nearly zero audio imports with dealers finding it increasingly more difficult to obtain new stock;
b) International buyers are feasting on our equipment- all paid for upfront to be exported;
c) International freight cost has increased up to 100. You might have to think again about that small parts order..and;
d) All international freight is via Oliver Tambo and then carted by road to their destinations..

Now I am just wondering, could this be the window of opportunity for our local manufacturers or the start of our equipment downgrade?

Offline BiZKiT

wish we had locally made speakers hey :2thumbs:

Offline pwatts

..with the drivers being from where?

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.

Vivid, Bentley...

Vivid assembles their own locally.
Commercial Property Broker- Upper Highway KZN

Offline Schalk

Zaggetly! Most of what I use inside of any amp, likely 80% at least is imported x exchange rate = still a pretty expensive amp. Even the paint on the outside. And then, the underlying fact that "local is lekker" will still be a deterring factor to the uninformed and brand conscious. I really do not see this changing drastically after 28 years of doing what I do.

Offline GECO

Zaggetly! Most of what I use inside of any amp, likely 80% at least is imported x exchange rate = still a pretty expensive amp. Even the paint on the outside. And then, the underlying fact that "local is lekker" will still be a deterring factor to the uninformed and brand conscious. I really do not see this changing drastically after 28 years of doing what I do.

zegactly. i concur

more humbling offerings like the exclame should be seeing a brighter future though
but lets see what we can do

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound

Riaan Louw in Cape Town (Resonant Frequency) has made his own speakers.  He based the design on the drivers that went into the large Yamaha NS1000 enclosures and also cribbed the cabinet design.   When I heard them, they were tucked away in the back corner of his extremely cluttered workshop, but sounded ok to me

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Lance

SA manufacturers to the rescue :thumbs:

Never fear guys and girls, we have a pretty substantial and varied selection of made in SA gear, each and every one of them is offering better sonic value for money than equivalent imports.

Now there's a certain high end TT that comes to mind... :dop:

Offline Timber_MG

The manufacturers with chinese components have a lower ratio of driver cost to resale and might have a bit of a local niche, though the second hand market will be as attractive to the local market as to the international and even at new inflated retail the likes of PSB, Dali et al still offer solid value propositions. For guys like Sonor with European driver prices or Vivid with their in-house drivers perhaps the export market remains the bigger target (certainly the case for Vivid and Sonor).

Offline Jozua_2019

We as audio consumers need to appreciate the audio dealers who still soldier on in very trying times.  The average businessman would have closed shop long time ago.

It is no longer safe to provide quotes. A quote could be based on existing stock which could have been sold when the client is ready to buy. To obtain the same item from suppliers at a higher price is a recipe for disaster when the client is expecting to pay the quoted price...

At the moment no new stock can be imported,  My concern is how will the dealers survive in the next 6 to 12 months when they run out of stock and cannot source new stock? 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:45:20 AM by Jozua_2019 »

Online vinyljan

...likely 80% at least is imported x exchange rate... :vsad:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline Zilch510

You should see them without the covers. Gorgeous stuff!
If you don't know the difference between "their", " there", and "they're", then your an idiot.

Offline Cam

I am a little concerned when I hear:

a) Nearly zero audio imports with dealers finding it increasingly more difficult to obtain new stock;
b) International buyers are feasting on our equipment- all paid for upfront to be exported;
c) International freight cost has increased up to 100. You might have to think again about that small parts order..and;
d) All international freight is via Oliver Tambo and then carted by road to their destinations..

Now I am just wondering, could this be the window of opportunity for our local manufacturers or the start of our equipment downgrade?
Is there any good reason why its necessary for countries to operate on different currencies with a regulated world economy that allows for some currencies to be unfairly devalued against others? In my view this whole mechanism allows for all our resources, not only hifi equipment to be bought from us at huge discounts. And then we at a major disadvantage to buy from an economy that has a stronger currency than ours. One positive from apartheid and sanctions was that South Africa had to be independent and that meant surviving on our own. Through that time fuel from coal technology was developed, a world first, and even nuclear warheads during the time of sanctions. So I personally hope that what is happening now will be a catalyst for further industrialisation in SA, our own car brand, tv/audio brands, cell phones etc. Thats the only way the rand will gain in value anyway. Hopefully one world currency as well..

Offline Trompie67

Is there any good reason why its necessary for countries to operate on different currencies with a regulated world economy that allows for some currencies to be unfairly devalued against others? In my view this whole mechanism allows for all our resources, not only hifi equipment to be bought from us at huge discounts. And then we at a major disadvantage to buy from an economy that has a stronger currency than ours. One positive from apartheid and sanctions was that South Africa had to be independent and that meant surviving on our own. Through that time fuel from coal technology was developed, a world first, and even nuclear warheads during the time of sanctions. So I personally hope that what is happening now will be a catalyst for further industrialisation in SA, our own car brand, tv/audio brands, cell phones etc. Thats the only way the rand will gain in value anyway. Hopefully one world currency as well..

Your historical facts are so skewed it's almost laughable.

Oil from Coal:
Invented/developed in the 1920'sby the Germans Fischer & Tropps (which is why it's called the Fischer-Tropps process). It was used by Nazi Germany during WWII to provide fuel for their airforce & armoured divisions. Technology purchased from them by South Africa.

Nuclear warheads:
Technology, training & assistance provided by both the US & Israel. (Israel was in fact a great partnert of Apartheid SA, the R4, R5 & R6 all originate from the Israeli IMI Galil. That may explain some of the intense dislike our current regime has for Israel.

Surviving on our own:
SA was bankrupt in 1990 already. The debt owed to foreign countries from 1985, when it was "frozen" was only fully repaid in 2001. In 1994 SA owed $23 billion.

Even having a "one world currency" (NWO & Illuminati pundits will enter stage left shortly) would not mean everything is equal around the world. Investing 101 - adjust for risk.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Jozua_2019

Debates aside, let be practical and explore options when the dealers start to run out of stock in 2-3 months ..if not earlier.

Who can still source equipment ?