Author Topic: CNC bits & bobs - leave 'em here [donate or flog]  (Read 202 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
CNC bits & bobs - leave 'em here [donate or flog]
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »
I have for a long time wanted to build a CNC router. It is a long-term project, as I don't have a budget for it right now. I have begun collecting parts and will continue to do so as opportunity permits. As I said: no budget, so this could take forever. However, a post I read today reminded me that there is always someone willing to help out and that it costs nothing to ask. My request: if you have any CNC parts gathering dust on your shelf that could possibly help take my project forward, talk to me. I am asking for parts donations and parts for sale at bargain prices.

What are my plans? A 3-axis CNC table with 1200mm x 600mm working limits. I might use the same platform to do 3D printing.

What do I have already? Not much.
(1) 4 off NEMA 23 (100) stepper motors
(2) 1 off 3-phase VFD (probably not of use to me, since I have single-phase mains)

What do I need?
(1) I probably should start with a drawing, but I am holding off, based on what parts become available.
(2) Everything else

You are welcome to PM me if you have anything to donate or sell.

Thanks

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Timber_MG

Re: CNC bits & bobs - leave 'em here [donate or flog]
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 01:50:18 PM »
My suggestion is that for infrequent use it's cheaper to outsource CNC cutting than building a machine.

Offline PhillipJ

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 07:40:39 PM »
My suggestion is that for infrequent use it's cheaper to outsource CNC cutting than building a machine.

But that is not any fun at all...

Offline PhillipJ

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 07:43:40 PM »
I have for a long time wanted to build a CNC router. It is a long-term project, as I don't have a budget for it right now. I have begun collecting parts and will continue to do so as opportunity permits. As I said: no budget, so this could take forever. However, a post I read today reminded me that there is always someone willing to help out and that it costs nothing to ask. My request: if you have any CNC parts gathering dust on your shelf that could possibly help take my project forward, talk to me. I am asking for parts donations and parts for sale at bargain prices.

What are my plans? A 3-axis CNC table with 1200mm x 600mm working limits. I might use the same platform to do 3D printing.

What do I have already? Not much.
(1) 4 off NEMA 23 (100) stepper motors
(2) 1 off 3-phase VFD (probably not of use to me, since I have single-phase mains)

What do I need?
(1) I probably should start with a drawing, but I am holding off, based on what parts become available.
(2) Everything else

You are welcome to PM me if you have anything to donate or sell.

Thanks

I might have a Raspberry Pi 0 W lying in a drawer somewhere which I assume you can use for a controller.

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 08:30:33 AM »

I might have a Raspberry Pi 0 W lying in a drawer somewhere which I assume you can use for a controller.

Thanks! It makes sense to have the CNC as a stand-alone machine, instead of attached to a PC (how I had imagined it). Will follow up with a PM.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 09:16:35 AM »
But that is not any fun at all...

The costs in material, time etc. of building and running them all adds up. If the road is the fun, then awesome, but often I wish there were more timber merchants with more CNC cutting facilities to better focus one's energies on the product.

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 10:05:56 AM »
You both have valid points. I usually have access to a small desktop CNC. It's been down for a few months. I miss it enough to know how much I'd like to have one for doing random jobs.

I have thought about building the ultimate machine. It would be great to have what amounts to essentially a CNC mill, but I really don't need it. I just need something that I can knock out small parts and prototypes on. With the bed size I have in mind, I imagine that I can do nice baffles, too, but not at production rates. Anything more should probably be outsourced.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
What do you plan to use for a spindle? For a small machine you will struggle to get better than a Makita RT0700c. Many of the smaller CNC routers from the 3d printer crowds are too wobbly for fine work other than engraving.

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »
What do you plan to use for a spindle? For a small machine you will struggle to get better than a Makita RT0700c. Many of the smaller CNC routers from the 3d printer crowds are too wobbly for fine work other than engraving.

I don't know yet. Is a 1.5kW spindle good enough? That's what is on the table top CNC.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 11:23:16 AM »
I don't know yet. Is a 1.5kW spindle good enough? That's what is on the table top CNC.

Spindle choice depends on what you want to cut. Highly recommend a ER-20 collet. I've done plastics machining with the Makita and it punches way above its weight. The biggest issue is linear motion components, perhaps you can buy a broken used machine somewhere and retrofit something. If you have spare time and access to a milling machine it's a fun (but not cheap) hobby.