Audio Streamer Choice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashappy

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Bit of background, I have been toying with the idea to get a dedicated streamer for my stereo system.
I currently only stream and listen to stored music in my HT side, which consists of my LG tv as my source for Spotify and Tidal.
My HDD connected to Android Box.
All running into Marantz SR6010.

System where it has to integrate:
VA Predator
Oppo 95
Maggie 3.7i

Where is my music stored?
On a HDD connected to an Android box (accessible via my network)

What services do I use?
Spotify, Tidal, Deezer

Quality of Streaming:
FLAC at best, this will be via my HDD, no interest in MQA etc
Streamer needs to be able to to access my HDD via network.

Options:
Upgrade Oppo to 105D
Looked at an Anycast dongle (3.5mm to RCA into the Predator, currently have this)
Bluesound Node 2i
Pioneer Network Streamer N50AE (has wifi)
Logitech Squeezebox (just not interested to do the server setup etc etc)

My opinion:
Squeezebox used to be top of my list, cost and ease of streaming, but to play my own music stored on HDD is cumbersome)

Oppo Upgrade, yes, availability is the issue and on the 105D the android app is still buggy.

Anycast, works easy, app works well, sound not that great as it is a little R399 dongle with only 3.5mm analogue out.

Pioneer, ideal would be the N70AE, but have not seen any locally, N50AE, yes, Like the fact that it is a full sized component, I believe that the app is a bit buggy as well.

Bluesound Node 2i, only have read and heard good things about it, so this one is purely cost and availability.

Thus, anything else to consider?

Budget not exceeding R7K.

Latest posts