Pimpin' my Sony's

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atjan

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've had a set low budget 5.1 Sony speakers and have recently managed to lay my hands on a set of MA B2's which I'm using in stead now.
The MA's are great, but from all I've seen on this forum, I think I'd be able to build a better set myself. Anyway, being the careful type, I've decided to practice on my old Sony floor standers first.
Would anyone be kind enough to offer some advice?
There's some pics.....somewhere....

Much to my delight it seems these are the most basic of speaker designs, barring my std 3 effort. (Which means I could possibly make an improvement  ;D) There's 4 speakers, 2 mid/woofers, 1 mid(?) and a tiny tweeter. The last two have a cap each connected.....not sure why. The larger speakers are connected in parallel and no caps. Am I correct in assuming they are running full range and the smaller speakers are filtered, if in a rudimentary way? There's a bit of pillow stuffing behind the small speakers and the rest is just an empty box with a port at the bottom.

I'm thinking of putting some damping (carpet or foam) in and possibly move the port to the back and fill the bottom with sand and most significantly, try and filter some high freq out of the larger speakers....but there must be some science to this??

Any comments/advise will be appreciated!
Attie

Attachments

• 28122010.jpg
    28122010.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 28122010(002).jpg
    28122010(002).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 28122010(005).jpg
    28122010(005).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 144