CD player in need of tray gear

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cross_over

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I cleaned out the garage during lockdown and came across an old Philips CD950 bitstream CD player that was given to me about 10 years ago.

I did some research and turns out it was one of their higher end CD Players manufactured around 1993 in Belgium. It features the (at the time top of the line) DAC7 implementation and a highly respected CDM9/44 transport.

When I first turned it on the CD tray did not open but I managed to load a CD by prying the drawer open with my fingers.

It actually sounded pretty decent for a CD player that hasn't been turned on for at least 10 years. After the first few minutes the display became intermittent and I decided to open up the machine.

It was obvious that some of the electrolytic caps were leaking and I decided to replace all of them with Rubycon equivalents. The only 'lytics I left alone were the Elna Cerafine and Nichicon Muse caps in the DAC/analogue section of the player.

I have been listening to it most of today and I am very impressed with the sound. Clear dynamic and non-fatiguing.

Only problem remaining is the disc drawer gear that no longer have teeth. This is a problem common to most players with CDM transports, and here is my question. Before ordering a replacement on eBay (obviously going to be problematic for some time) I was wondering if any forum member may know where I can find a replacement locally. Maybe someone has a useable tray gear on a player that is not repairable?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk