Advice needed - sound system for gran to play her LPs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u235

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a bit of a challenge.

My mother in law is 80, and lives in a small townhouse. Her late husband bought a sony stack (turntable, tape, amplifier and tuner) in about 1980, and it is a) much too large and b) the turntable belt is gone.

She has a collection of LPs that she would dearly love to listen to, mainly 50 s and sixties stuff, but can't.

So I'd like to put a simple system together for her, but it must be as small as possible. If ghetto-blasters came with turntables that would be ideal, as this is not a megafi requirement! I offered her my old Technics amp - too big.

She doesn't want her collection digitized - she understands LPs and will stick with them CHOHW.

Trying to be a bit lateral,  I think I could get her a pair of PC speakers and maybe there is an inexpensive DIY solution for a preamp that could be made super-compact?  It would be great if a belt could be found for the Sony, but if not, any suggestions on an entry-level or 2nd hand turntable?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Latest posts