Home NAS for NOOB

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vee

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all - Im new to this so would like some assistance.
My requirement would be to have all backed up music/movies available to pla via my HT as well as having all pics/files etc available wirelesly via the NAS.
I think you need a client/app to access and categorize all the content and then play it - Ive looked at Plex but also open to other options.

From a hardware perspective Ive looked at:
1.Getting Raspberry Pi4 to run Plex, connected to an external HDD but subsequently I find that it does not pass through HD audio so this may not work.
2.An android TV box with HDD connected to it will work but may not the best route taking into account the sharing and viewing of other files/pics - or can    you run a client like Plex on an Android Box?
3.Prebuilt NAS boxes - these seem expensive but if it will do the job better than the above two options?

A 6TB Seagate HDD will cost R1999(Makro) and the Raspberry Pi setup costs +-R2500 or a Minix U9 costs +-R3000 - with these two options Im in for +-R5000 (excluding Plex annual costs)

Prepared to spend a bit more to get a solution that works well with no performance issues streaming HD video/audio content
Sorry for the big essay above - need as much help as possible
thanks in advance

Latest posts