Author Topic: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project  (Read 16130 times)

Offline mygoggie

Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project
« Reply #300 on: November 18, 2020, 10:39:50 PM »
The final layout design.

I now need to make a negative of this and convert it all to paths. That is tomorrow's problem.

:coffee:
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »
Good news. I managed to get the restoration plaque all done into a decent vector design file and sent it off to @ViperR

I also managed to find the brass version of the "World turns on Colchester Lathes" plaque on Practical Machinist. Mark Presling was so kind to donate his vector design to me so that I can have @ViperR make this as well.

Here is a link to Mark Presling's video on how he made his brass plaques - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsPlP4bNzXo

Thanks Mark and @ViperR! This is so cool.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:33:29 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #302 on: November 25, 2020, 10:30:05 PM »
I was gifted these two V-slides by Gustav Jimny

The idea is to make myself a milling attachment for the lathe and I think these two slides will work perfectly!

Thanks Gustav  :dop:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #303 on: November 26, 2020, 02:31:25 PM »
Anyone here knows his stuff regarding installing DRO on these slides?
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #304 on: November 26, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »
I was gifted these two V-slides by Gustav Jimny

The idea is to make myself a milling attachment for the lathe and I think these two slides will work perfectly!

Thanks Gustav  :dop:

I honestly think I am going to burst into tears any minute now. That comes from this:

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #305 on: November 26, 2020, 07:26:47 PM »
I honestly think I am going to burst into tears any minute now. That comes from this:

Wow, now I am the one with tears in my eyes. This is a shame! I will have to make an effort then to give these a good honourable place in my workshop.  :groovy:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #306 on: November 26, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »
Not reflecting on you mygoggie. Thing is just that record cutting lathes we never made in huge numbers. There only ever were 3 manufacturers worth mentioning. Of these Lyrec produced minuscule numbers and of the remaining 2, Scully ceased production in the early 1970s and Neumann in 1985. That is it, no more. For those of us to whom listening to vinyl is as an essential part of life as eating or breathing the thought of the loss of even one of these irreplaceable pleasure-producers is heartbreaking.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #307 on: November 26, 2020, 08:41:01 PM »
A bit of good news after the tearful news ...

This arrived today from Canada after almost three months of traveling over the waters, skies and some deep inter planet space.

Thanks Mat!! Many muchness of appreciation as this concave circlips are unobtainium in South Africa.

Brain chirped some wise words for you: "Acta non verba."
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #309 on: November 26, 2020, 09:17:15 PM »
A fellow forumite from the 4x4Community who also stays in Port Elizabeth has actually done this and he offered to show me the way.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/330200-1953-Colchester-Student-Mk1-6-quot-gap-bed-A-restoration-project?p=4527791#post4527791

Yeah, I had a look at those items and then also what TOT is doing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:19:53 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #310 on: November 26, 2020, 09:22:58 PM »
Not reflecting on you mygoggie. Thing is just that record cutting lathes we never made in huge numbers. There only ever were 3 manufacturers worth mentioning. Of these Lyrec produced minuscule numbers and of the remaining 2, Scully ceased production in the early 1970s and Neumann in 1985. That is it, no more. For those of us to whom listening to vinyl is as an essential part of life as eating or breathing the thought of the loss of even one of these irreplaceable pleasure-producers is heartbreaking.

Yeah, this is a very very sad story. I love old things and when something really special is broken up, it breaks my heart.

Thanks for the very interesting information. Everyday we learn something new.  :coffee:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist