Author Topic: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project  (Read 11254 times)

Offline mygoggie

Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2020, 10:12:54 PM »
And there we FINALLY have a fully shaped and sanded lid. Side lid that is ... one that lids belts, pulleys and gears. A screwed down lid.  :angel:

Only thing left to do was to sand the one small area of touched up filler. Brain timed me and according to him it took 5,0541808184E-6 Marsian years. So it was fairly quick!

Then it was onto the hole riddle nobody could solve. So nobody won a prize!  :sd:

And the answer is .... tada ...

The brass plaque had to be mounted  :rubhands:

From the back of the cover I can still see all the holes that was filled with filler.

So many choices, so many combinations. Oh what to do! "Calm down" said Brain. "Go and fetch the blessed plaque and measure it out".

What a good idea!

Found the 1/28 holes! Time to mark these out.

In the meantime Carl was sanding the third layer of filler on the flanks of the beast. This time with 150 grit.

For me, it was onto playing dentist again ...

And there we are.

Cleaned on the outside face as well. Looking good.  :thumbs:

For all the OCD fans ... the full view and all lined up.

And now I am finished with this cover. Next is two coats of 2K MS primer. One a dry coat and five minutes layer a wet coat. OK, that is what the expert mate of mine said. In my opinion all paint freshly sprayed is wet. So, I will feel the first layer with my fingers until I find it is dry and then spray the second correctly stated wet layer.

Time to celebrate as Spiceman quite rightly said.  :dop:

An hour later and the beast's flankes were done to 320 grit. That went quick. Onto leveling the bottom and applying a final layer of filler.

While Carl was doing the 320 grit exercise, I sanded the traveler in our family.

Then I tackled the beast's belly and shaped the sides corners.

Took another hour and there we are. Smoothed to 180 grit.

Then it was time for my silky touch ...  smooth as 320 grit.

Last bit of the day was shaping and smoothing the gearbox sides.

Tomorrow, I will apply a final touch up filler layer to these surfaces and silkify the surfaces.  :2thumbs:

Brain asks for recommendations for coffee beans ... he is tired of all the ones I have mentioned before.  :coffee:
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #226 on: September 05, 2020, 06:13:16 PM »
Tomorrow disappeared into desktop work ...

That was yesterday from today's point of view.

This morning was spent sanding the traveling member. Here we are to 180 grit.

Then it was time to get to foot's raised edge neat and tidy. All in the name of CDO.  :goofy:

I like playing dentist dentist so out came the dremel tool again ...

And there we are. A neat inner edge.

Cleaned up with a cone stone.

All sanded to 220 grit.

Now onto cleaning all the holes of filler. First bit of progress ...

And some more ...

There we are. I will ream these holes after the final coat was applied.

I then progressed to sanding the traveler to 320 grit. The last little bit of work was to patch two small dings with filler.

Then it was time to coat some more lids. The headstock lid and the gearbox lid. These are the top lids if you did not guess correctly.

First step was to clean the headstock lid with thinners as it had some oil soaked from the cast iron into the MS primer ... not a good sign.   :Ooooooh:

Here is a bad edge I will have to carefully repair. I think the filler will be strong enough with some paint protecting it.

Then it was time to apply the body filler. Not a lot of continiuous surfaces to work with, but after the drive cover this is peanuts.

The Boss came and took some pictures. She said I must smile for you guys and girls ...  :angrywife:

And there we are. A bit bumpy but what the heck. I am now a smooth sailor. I mean sander ...

Next lid for a shave, the gearbox lid. Thinners time as it had even more oil soaked into the filler.

This went quick. Lots of open flat fields to apply paste onto!  :drool:

After a few minutes I started sanding with 36 grit to get the shapes back in place. I was almost done when EISHKOM hit us again ... pics taken in the dark hours of load shedding.

It was 12h00 by now and I made a light lunch for the Boss and myself. Grabbed a book and climbed into bed. It started raining as well, so what better excuse than rain, no electricity and cold weather to grab a book?

This afternoon I finished shape sanding to 50 grit.

This went quickly and it was a good exercise. Especially the book.  :coffee:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #227 on: September 06, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »
Today I had to tick off one of my maintenance list items. More about that later.

I needed the wood working vice so I decided to finish our world traveler.

Touch up areas all sanded to 320 grit.

Do you see what I see? I forgot to clean the cap screw countersunk holes!

Time to play dentist dentist again  :Whoohoo:

Hmmm, the holes are cleared of filler, but I will have to spray the insides of these holes. Some more cleaning was therefore required. Using a cylindrical stone I lightly grinded the inside surface of each hole.

And there we are ... all done with the traveller.

I also pulled the cross slide lid closer and sanded it to 320 grit.

.... onto installing an anti-siphon loop for the solar water system.
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #228 on: September 07, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »
Between desktop work, the water purification filter and load shedding I managed to apply the second layer of filler on the big top lid and the small top lid.

Carl also cleaned his play pen and wiped it down with some thinners. I then coated the corroded bottom part with a thin layer of body filler. I will sand this smooth tomorrow as the fumes in there is keeping the filler too soft to sand.

Sanding to 80 grit was rather quick on the two lids.

Tomorrow is another day and I will finish these two parts then. Carl brought me a book titled "Iron Wheels" which is all about steam locomotives. I will read this tonight.  :2thumbs:  :coffee:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:41:07 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2020, 08:21:15 AM »
This is crazy! Between this thread and the mirror one on 4x4community there has been more than 50 000 views of this topic. Thanks to everyone viewing, advising and just having fun with Carl and myself.  :coffee:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2020, 06:20:44 PM »
I must say I enjoy reading the book named "Ysterwiele". Especially the ghost stories most of whom are innocent, but some appear to be real and true ghosts. In case you are like Brain, here is the ISBN: 978-1-920201-03-6

Sanding day today!  :Whoohoo:

I finished the bottom lid to 320 grit. There are a hole or two somewhere which I need to clear out. Will check later tonight and see if I can get this done. The round edge needs some touching up. That is on tomorrow's plate.

Carl, could not wait to start playing in his playpen!

Then it was the top lid's turn for a shave sand. Nothing on this lid is even or evenly round. It is mostly guess work to get the curves to join nicely.

Done to 120 grit on the bulk of the surfaces.

When I looked up, Carl was laying on his side sanding the cabinet shelves. Nope, that is not on, so I helped him to turn the stand on its back. A lot easier!

Getting the end curves in place is taking some time ...

Some more curves and rounds done to 120 grit.

Then onto cutting the slide edges square with a round stone. It looks easier than it is, but I took my time and it came out very well.

Last sanding of the day was to 180 grit. There are a few corners I need to finish and a few touch-ups to do, but this will be done tomorrow.

Carl completed the tail end of the stand to 320 grit. Looking good. I will have to spray MS primer again as there are a few bold spots that appeared ...

Just an overview of the parts hanging around looking innocent ...

I think I will read some more train stories tonight. Especially after Carl shared a few of his tales from his days as a loco driver.  :coffee:

Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline d0dja

« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2020, 06:25:29 PM »
This is crazy! Between this thread and the mirror one on 4x4community there has been more than 50 000 views of this topic. Thanks to everyone viewing, advising and just having fun with Carl and myself.  :coffee:

Sorry, was too busy watching these sri lankan blokes restoring a Morris minor engine. That's how you do it bruv. Slipslops, jeans and a long sleeve shirt out in the yard.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2020, 07:45:03 PM »
Yesterday was a non lathe day. The Boss and I was invited for breakfast and the afternoon for dinner in the harbour.  :rubhands:

And it was good ...

This morning Carl and I jumped into the sanding realm while holding hands and with closed eyes. We made it!

I continued with the top lid. Doing all the fine little detail, and nooks and crannies.

Done to 320 grit. Onto patching the small dings and edges.

Then it was filler time. Both lids covered with a thin layer of filler.

Carl is seriously getting into the thick of things  :giggle:

While the lids were drying their new cosmetic layer it was the turn of another lid. The side lid of the gearbox.

Left over filler onto the motor mounting plate ...

I also applied fillers the the underside of the three corners of the stand's apron.

I sanded the gearbox's lid and the final surface was not too my liking so I covered it with some more filler to get the edge of the corner correct and smooth.

Then it was time for black dust. On the stand and on the top lid. Carl finished the stand's insides to 220 grit and the outside to 180 grit. Now it is to ensure all the last dings and unevenness on the outside is found and fixed or sanded flat.

The first portion of the stand done to 220 and then 320 grit. Nice and smooth to the touch.  :2thumbs:

The gearbox's side lid done to 180 grit this evening. Almost there!

Hopefully I can start spraying tomorrow or over the weekend!

Brain is working on finding a way to get the garage off-grid with electricity ... interesting ideas he has!  :coffee:

Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2020, 08:19:55 AM »
My apologies for not posting. Doing a lot of desktop work on Friday and the weekend was spent pruning the garden as well as rebuilding my NAS and fault finding the Pajero's drivetrain vibration.  :winkwink:

Friday Carl worked mainly on his own sanding the stand to 320 grit. Almost there!

I spent some more time on the gearbox cover.

Then it was onto pruning!

Let's see how far we can get today!  :dop:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2020, 07:37:56 PM »
Another day of sanding ...

Not much to report except that it was another day of sanding ...

Carl started off with the stand and finishing up to the 220 grit stage.

I tackled the gearbox cover and worked on all the nooks and crannies. A huge amount of time this one is requiring.  :sweat:

By the afternoon Carl was finished with the stand to 320 grit. He proceeded to vacuum all the dust from it and then wiped it down with a thinners cloth. All ready for spraying. Just as I was gathering the spray gun and MS Primer, the wind starting blowing with a massive gust ... spraying plans all blown for a loop. Hopefully tomorrow will be better weather.  :pray:

With no spraying to do, Carl started sanding the coolant chamber's door as well as all the lamp's parts and many of the small parts. I worked on the cover and finished all the detail.

Next was some touch up body filler on the imperfections and curves of the cover's new surface. While Carl was cleaning the garage I started sanding the new filler to match the existing surface. There we are, the cover is almost done.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow I need to do a site inspection and certification, so hopefully I can be back early enough to spray all the parts waiting for a second and final coat of MS Primer.

Have a good evening and relax  :dop:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:40:28 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #235 on: September 15, 2020, 07:39:22 PM »
Not a lot of working done on the lathe project today. I was on site to inspect and sign off a structural job. Alas, it was done very poorly and needs to be redone. Seems that most skills are unobtainium in this country now. Well, the rest of the day was spent sorting this out with the contractor and the various parties involved in the mess.

Anyway ...

I finished the gearbox side cover to 320 grit.

I also did some more touch ups on the drive end cover in areas I missed before. I found that I have clean forgotten to sand these areas when I picked the cover up to prep it for spraying!  :facepalm:

Lastly I put some more filler down on the underside of the stand's apron and next to the hinges of the coolant chamber door.

Tomorrow is most definitely spraying day if the wind allows me some leeway!

Brain is still working on the off-grid solution. He says I must first complete the sea water battery prototype as it has potential ...  :coffee:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #236 on: September 16, 2020, 07:38:19 PM »
This morning I woke up with a terrible ear ache ...  :sulky:

My first reaction is that Brain was pulling some strings because I was not listening. Alas, he was not. I have been suffering from spring sinusitis all my life and the last two weeks have been rather familiar on this front. Anyway no reason to stay in bed.

I dragged my sorry self to my desk to sort out the rest of yesterday's mess on site. Suddenly everybody is blame shifting and will be on site ASAP. Anyway, enough about this story.

Onto the lathe.

Carl started on the cabinet door and I went onto finishing the gearbox lid.

I had to find the plaque's mounting holes again and clear these of filler. First step was to fit the plaque.

Then marking out the location of the holes, it was.

All the holes cleared of filler and the lid completed to 320 grit.

By this time Carl has finished the door to 220 grit and it was time to smooth out the indentions with some filler.

While Carl was waiting for the filler to cure, he tackled the drawer. Me? I tackled the top lid. Can you spot the progress?

The small detailed curves drove me almost insane. Maybe an Italian designed this lid??

The drawer sanded to 220 grit and the front leveled out with some filler. I will sand this tomorrow to a smooth surface.

And there we are! The topmost lid all done and finished to 320 grit.

And Murphuy had to have the last say ... oil in the cast iron made a section of filler release!  :facepalm:

Oh well, rather now than when the final top coat has been applied!

Carl had some time to sand the motor mounting plate. This done, he asked that I fill a very uneven spot.

While Carl was playing around with motor mounting plates, I smeared some filler on the front of the stand. The back is all nice and smooth while the front has a gazillion small dings. I wonder why??

And there we are ... all done for the day. Tomorrow I need to attend another site meeting, so it there will be no lathe work done in the morning.

The door and drawer patiently waiting on their turn to be sanded tomorrow.  :coffee:

Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:30 AM »
Double trouble. I am sick with some stomach bug thing and the Pajero's driveshafts needs to be fixed as you can read here.

So it is between bed and crawling below the Pajero! No lathe work.
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »
Might possibly be that crawly thing in your avatar pic that made its way into your stomach? Drown it with rum & coke!

Hope you feel better soon Herman.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2020, 06:04:20 PM »
Might possibly be that crawly thing in your avatar pic that made its way into your stomach? Drown it with rum & coke!

Hope you feel better soon Herman.

-F_D

That crawly thing is a love bug and full of no-harm. Never will it cause any harm!  :cleansound:

Thanks @Family_Dog I am feeling a little better today.
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist