Author Topic: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project  (Read 16017 times)

Offline mygoggie

Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2020, 09:28:14 PM »
Pajero is playing the fool with me. After battling for two days to get the transfer case's rear cover off, I found it is impossible to fit it through the physical gap ... so I need to remove the whole transfer case! Might as well to the whole gearbox + transfer case and replace the clutch, release bearing and oil seal.

With frustration levels where it should not be I spend some time on the electrical motor.

Just for the fun of it I boiled the gasket in some dishwasher soap solution. Let's see what happens!

I measured the resistance of the motor's windings between poles to check if the windings are within specs. Normally the value should be around 8 Ω. Looks good to me!

Looking at the rated rotational speed value of 1 430 rpm, with a frequency of 50 Hz, this is a four pole motor. Slip is 70 rpm or 4,7% under load.

Anyway, I am drifting off into Brain's world. I will ask him later what the slip angle is ...

I dug out the cleaned pulley and gave it a good rub down with bee's wax. Next was cleaning the shaft key. It was banged a few times in the past. Seems like the Brutish Butcher has krept out of the woodwork again!

Still not fitting ...

Some more careful filing and there we have a good slide fit.  :2thumbs:

I tapped the pulley onto the shaft until it is flush with the shaft's end. I will align it on the shaft when the motor is fitted to the mounting plate.

The business end view of the pimped blingy motor!

Tomorrow I will have to multitask to get the Pajero parts ordered, do some desktop work and keeping sane in between.

Have a good week!

:dop:
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline El Sid

« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2020, 10:23:19 PM »
The business end view of the pimped blingy motor!

Dang! That looks like it just rolled off the factory floor....

Brilliant work Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2020, 07:56:39 AM »
Dang! That looks like it just rolled off the factory floor....

Brilliant work Herman

Thanks @El Sid musch appreciated!
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2020, 05:44:27 PM »
I want to assemble the isolator this weekend. For this I first need to find all the components and then do the lettering on the lid. Yes, the front lid.

I am missing a part ... can you figure it out??

Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
Eskom juice?

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline d0dja

« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2020, 08:21:21 PM »
The actual, you know, switch?

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2020, 08:30:29 PM »
Nah, switch is there, look at the black bar in the box. I think it's the goodies that affix the handle to the cover. Or maybe the wiring. or maybe Eskom Juice. or not.

-F_D

-Eric

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2020, 09:57:45 PM »
Nah, switch is there, look at the black bar in the box. I think it's the goodies that affix the handle to the cover.

You are spoton @Family_Dog if you look at an earlier photo it is the parts holding the handle in place.
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #263 on: October 25, 2020, 11:05:46 AM »
Grabbed a few minutes in the garage this morning and searched for the missing motor enclosure's screws.

Murphy's rules won the day and once again it was the last packet I looked at!

Anyhow, that done it was onto cleaning the threads. M5 x 0,8 is the thread.

Fortunately this tap set has a broken tap which I can use to reach the deep down end of the hole. You see there is always a good side of an accident or what you perceive to be a bad situation!  :clap:

And there we are ... all screws cleaned and in place.

I gave a lot of thought to the gasket and decided to make one in-situ. The main issue is that gasket maker grips onto metal and sticks.

First step was to clean the edges with a dentist bit and the Dremel tool. Then I made a wild choice and sprayed the cleaned recess with PTFE spray to act as a releasing agent. Let's hope it works!

After a few minutes the spray has dried and it was time to apply some gasket maker silicone.

I made a little smoothing tool from a plastic can to allow me to get the surface of the applied silicone a bit lower than the top of the recess lips.

Oh so many choices! Which colour to choose??

Brain said: "Go unconventional."

So I did ...

A few nerve racking minutes later and a bit of spit on the end of the pencil to tamper the corners, I think it looks more than adequate.

Curing time is 24h so I will punch the holes and clean the edges tomorrow.

Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #264 on: October 25, 2020, 06:17:13 PM »
Yesterday went and today came and now I have to rewind a tad ...

I had a look at the isolator switch contacts yesterday and these were filthy. Lots of soot and dirt on the porcelain bodies which is not good as it can cause arching.

I made my favourite cleaning concoction and in all the components went.

Now to let these stand overnight. The blue train is standing guard.  :giggle:

One night later and it was morning. Opening the ice cream tub revealed .. no, no ice cream, sorry! Clean porcelain parts it is.

A bit of toothbrush scrubbing later and it was time to start installing the contacts. I just screws them down very loosely as each needs to be aligned with the switching teeth on the rotating bar.

The rotating bar's holding screen had a makeover. All paint removed and wire brushed. Looking ready for action!

All installed and the contact prongs bent into position.

Fortunately I have a 1/4" spanner to tighten the screws down.

There we are. All screws tightened and components installed.

Next in line was to finish the lid. That is the front lid. The one that opens forward. Each raised alphanumeric face had to receive a coat of white paint. First step was to sand the existing clear coat a bit to give the white paint something to grip onto. My faithful sanding bar came in very handy.

Next step was to make something to apply the paint with. As I have learned in the Quad 33 restoration thread, I took a chopstick and glued a tiny piece of artist sponge onto the end.

Next step was to clean the areas with a thinners soaked cloth.

Pad on a stick ready to go ...

White paint mixed, lid and chopstick ready for some fun.

The trick is to keep the pad as dry as possible and tap multiple layers of paint onto the raised areas. Rather do three coats then a single coat. First section done.

After battling a bit and inventing at least two new words, I achieved all white alphanumeric surfaces. Hmmm it appears Brain is impressed at my choice of words!  :rubhands:

Next step was to apply a layer of clear coat to protect the new white surfaces. I sanded the lid's surface with a Scotch pad to give the new clear coat something to grip onto. I did take a lot of care not to come close to the new white surfaces!

Spraying went well. As I finished the gale force wind, blew a bit of dust onto the surface. Ai, Murphy is really active today. I will buff it out tomorrow. Anyway I think it looks good and readable.  :2thumbs:

I will assemble the lid tomorrow and install it onto the case. That is if I find some time between office work and report writing.

Brain had the last say: "A posse ad esse"

:coffee:

Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
Herman, I just have to ask... what is Woollies "Cookies & Cream Flavoured" ice cream Like? Tasty? Should I buy some?

Those switchgear nuts are also quite likely 2BA which is what the Brits used back then, possibly still do today.

Oh, and nice job, please share the recipe for your favourite cleaning brew.

-F_D

-Eric

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2020, 07:35:44 PM »
what is Woollies "Cookies & Cream Flavoured" ice cream Like? Tasty? Should I buy some?

Yep, worth the fortune you pay for it.  :2thumbs:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #267 on: October 26, 2020, 08:07:48 PM »
What a chaotic day ... I was just settling in to finish a report when I was called out to a flooded warehouse.

To take my mind off things I finished the isolator box.

First step was to clean the threads of the handle's mounting holes. The thread of the machine screws did not look too good either so this was also cleaned.

Next was installing the missing part. The lock that makes sure you do not stick your little greasy fingers where they should not belong. A sockets works great to knock the internal tooth lock washer onto the spindle.

The hole for the spindle washer was too tight due to the new paint so I sanded it a little bit until the washer could spin freely.

The spindle washer all bee's waxed up (I think this is bad English but if my surfboard was all waxed up, I guess a washer can be bee's waxed up). Where is Brain when you need him??

Installed into position.

There we are. The handle installed and tightly screwed down.

The lock all bee's waxed up  :giggle:

In the OFF position it looks good.

The ON position even better!

In the old condition, not so good ...

Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #268 on: October 26, 2020, 08:37:07 PM »
Jeece! By the time you're done with this, will you even have the heart to turn it on? Looking pretty spiffy for heavy machinery!

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2020, 08:51:59 PM »
Jeece! By the time you're done with this, will you even have the heart to turn it on? Looking pretty spiffy for heavy machinery!

Of course yes!
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist