Forum: general knowledge, competence and skill

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAV

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
It is good to be part of a forum where many of the members pride themselves on their general level of technical savvy, and they have good reason to do so.

While I do not expect everyone to have technical / electronics background, a forum like this one really does need a fairly large part of its membership base to be technically competent.

I am sure this might come back to bite me, but I had a look at the Emotiva forum last night. People openly offer ridiculous advice, yet no-one takes the trouble to correct them. Of course I do not blame the site owners, as they cannot control what people are posting. Still, it is disconcerting and annoying to see. Example (there are many more): A guy in Aussieland was complaining about his power amp running fairly hot. There was more than one (unchallenged) reply that of course his amp would run hotter, seeing as Australia has 230/240 V mains and the US only 110 V... ??? ;D. Go figure.

My other favourite: If you are not running / using all the channels of a multichannel power amp, it is detrimental to it, as the power supply would be delivering too much voltage to the other channels in use.

Be proud of this forum. It rocks.  8) (Rant mode off, hehe... ;))

Latest posts