Author Topic: Homeless Guy  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Tom

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Digital Media Conversions
Homeless Guy
« on: May 03, 2020, 01:09:29 AM »
Today I embarked on a mission to find this mans family. He does not know who he is.
 After making sure he was safe and fed I gave him some clothes as he was wearing just a vest and slacks.

Despite his appearance he does not come across as a drug user and has what appear to be a mental illness. Could perhaps be that he is off his meds. I could not just let him go and be in the street. I made him comfortable in his make shift camp for the night and started flooding social media. It is now 1 AM, the response from across south africa has been overwhelming and GOOD NEWS... I just got a voicenote from a kind soul that positively identified him and will confirm his address in the morning. I will arrange for medical assistance first thing tomorrow morning (he says he was hit over the head and cannot remember who he is.... and pending the outcome of the hospital visit I will arrange for him to be taken home.
He does how ever drink a lot of coffee. LOL  :groovy:
Impeccable mannerism - He has an amazing detailed tattoo of the "Creation of Adam" on his chest and seeing this I knew this guy is missed by someone somewhere.

Will post an update later today.
Kindest
Tommie
Digital Media Conversions - Preserving Memories

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Homeless Guy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 04:53:22 AM »
Good on you Tom.

Thank you for caring & helping.

Respect.
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline Scrat

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Real men don't drink pink drinks, Dave....
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »
Please keep us updated?
It's not the size of the sub, it's where you place it.

Offline Tom

• Trader
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
Update Sunday 9:45 AM. I have received 2 phone calls this morning positively identifying him as Tristan.
I took him some coffee now and he is doing well and is in his usual good spirit, responded to Tristan and just to be sure I asked him if his name is Tristan or Ashley as he speaks very softly, He says he has heard the name Tristan a lot.
His parents live in Sunnyrock, Germiston but I am also in contact with the home he resided at last, only problem is the home is in KZN. Will post update as soon as I can.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:37:31 AM »
There are one or two around here similar to him

They both live at the Ark Night Shelter in Wynberg which I assist now and then.   Both are harmless guys, one has a strange appearance and gets a stuttering fit if you ask him something directly.  So I pretend I am speaking to his mate and will ask him if he wants more magazines (he likes Railway magazines and National Geographic).  He will then say "yes, me"

The Ark get food from Woolworths and PnP Constantia Village.  Every day at 6.30 they can go and collect
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline MR.C

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 12:23:17 PM »
I tried to get a guy home, back to KZN and from a Facebook post, I also got a call from East Coast Radio and they did a short interview with me, then the guy then decides he doesn't want to go home and made all different excuses.

I got a call from someone who knew him and this elderly man insisted that this man will not be able to integrate back into society with his family. He was a alcohol addict and thats all that he lived for. He complained about it but didn't have the will to extract himself out of his situation.

Tried with another guy who I tried to get back home to Tanzania, flights were too expensive, train was not an option cos no direct train, and was concerned he might jump off at any stop. Also got hold of his cousin via Whatsapp and his cousin said his not ready to go back, he knew of his drug use.

He came to me excitedly one day telling me that he can get a lift with someone and needed photos for his asylum papers or a letter to allow him across the border. I gave him some money and never saw him again, for about 7 months.
Then I used to see him daily in another suburb that I used to pass going to work, and he used to hide from me...

Good luck with Tristan, hope the family takes him in and treats him well to get his life back on track.

Well done to you.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 03:37:55 PM »
I doubt this lifestyle is a choice
Drug addition is the no 1 cause, I have no doubt
The fellow I mentioned above in Wynberg has a very low IQ and could not get work.  He was living with an aunt but she died.  He lived rough for 3 years and was delivered to The Ark by the SAPS
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Baine Bloodhoof

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 06:21:52 PM »
Joh Tom, Im absolutely blown away by your kindness and willingness to help, a total stranger. I wish I was able to help you financially, or any other way. Least I came to this, was giving a homeless guy money to get back to Durban from Plumstead. lost contact with him after 2 weeks of him saying he has left. God bless you man  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
“Perhaps I am inclined to prejudge, I think better of the tauren than I do of orcs.”

Offline ish

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 08:39:01 PM »
Tom
You are an amazing person.
I visited you at you flat near Bedfordview and even then I was taken by your humble and caring nature.
Well done
Ish

Never give up ,never slow down,never grow old, never ever die young (James Taylor)

Offline Tom

• Trader
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 04:41:48 AM »
Thank you guys, It really is nothing.  I tell you what was tough for me and completely caught me off guard , Twice yesterday I had to explain to two different people that it is not their sons who were declared Missing/ deceased. One 8 years ago and another one about 10 years ago, I felt their plea for closure. One lady in PE getting stressed even insisting I take him for finger prints which was really a mission impossible today.

BY the time I saw the pictures they send me I was already familiar with both the above cases (and numerous others) as I thoroughly scoured all the Missing Persons pages. Theirs were indeed exact profiles but the pictures did not match or they had different body marking etc.

Success.

4AM and I just finished a call from Tristans Mom, audibly still in tears.

I now also have the place to take him to and also a list of his required medicines. Not quite sure yet how I am going to do this. Going to try ambulance services and keeping the covid 19 thread into consideration.

She ended the message by saying that he is a good child, just ill, and I understood what she meant.

Be safe guys and girl.
 :groovy:

Offline Tom

• Trader
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 12:45:48 PM »
Good day everyone... Success.

Tristan Hildebrandt's parents has been located and they are absolutely ecstatic that he has been found. He was just taken to Germiston Hospital where they know him and have him on file to get him back on his medicine. I am sure he will be as good as new in a few days and his mom will fetch him directly from hospital to be united with him again. You guys have been absolutely amazing in supporting me and I do thank you from the bottom of my heart and Tristans soul! Bless You All!!!!!!

Big shout out for the Ambulance guys, phoned 112 and they were here in under 15 minutes, did their thing with compassion and phoned me just now to let me know he has been admitted and all is good. Only complaint here and I thought it was odd, their temp reader did not want to work, no doubt a cheap chinese donation from Mr Ma

Me, I am going to catch a few winks now, about 40 or so., totally drained.

Kindest
Tommie

Offline Scrat

• AVForums Super Veteran
  • Real men don't drink pink drinks, Dave....
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 02:53:37 PM »
Tom, this counts as a big win. And we all can do with one right about now.

Many thanks.

:clap:
It's not the size of the sub, it's where you place it.

Offline MR.C

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 06:54:00 PM »
You said "Bless you all".
I think it should be the other way around.

Some joys can only be felt from the heart, and what a gift you gave to his Mother is immeasurable.

Fantastic work
Bless you.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline Tom

• Trader
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »
Just as a final concluision I have to share the following.

Yesterday I received a frantic phonecall from Tristan/ Ashley's mother, totally stressed that she cant find her son at Germiston hospital and that they "Let him go" My courage just sank into my shoes, after all of that he is missing again.  :sd:

After donning my boxing gloves and taking it off again so that the fists punches can be felt better by the authorities I had a brain storm, I phoned the hospital again and this time I asked for Ashley (One of his personalities, no doubt).... "Yes sir, He is here and he is doing fine, He is sleeping, he is on his medication and doing well sir, we gave him a nice shave etc and Nurse Lizzy will gladly go wake him if I wish.
The mother is now in charge!  :2thumbs:

No sweat really guys. no recognition or repayment or any of that stuffs needed please, thats not why I did this, It is such an exhilarating feeling I just had to share and I am so grateful that I was able to help someone in real need! Couple of sarmies, some fruit and coffee and a few phonecalls. This is simply just who I am and I am busy looking for my next unsuspecting victim to assist ....lol.

about 3 minutes after giving the Mom the good news yesterday that her son is safe and sound my phone rang again..My first customer since about October last year.... co incidence ?  :Whoohoo:
Feeling Blessed Today

Kindest regards
Tommie

I think Mods can close please.  :groovy: