A few more cents ...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorneDJ

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I seem to have developed a liking to headphones, and just received my Audio-technica CK10's today to replace my ageing (read the inner cords are actually showing from use) Sony's. I have lost the model no. long time ago, but it is about 4 years old, so well played in. Since then I have had Sennheisers CX300 (i think) and AKG 330 something, and a few others (I really like in-ear phones). However, I returned time and time again to the Sony earphones. About 2 years ago I went and bought the exact same model (blue and red wire started showing on a point on the originals) in Menlyn (Pretoria) and was promised it is the same Sony (about R430), yet when I tried it it didn't sound as my original Sony's. So I went back to the old ones.

But, the plastic covering the wires are dying, and the blue and red wires are now at a few spots, so it was time to replace these phones. After a bit of research (and bugging other people) I have narrowed it down to the Senns IE8 or Etymotic Research ER-4S, leaning towards the Etymotics, due to the price as well as extremely well received reviews. But in the process I also came upon the Audio-technica CK10 reviews, and on a whim I bought one from a Audio-technica dealer on e-bay last week (about R2,000). It was delivered today via Fedex !!!!

So I immediately tried it, and ...

Words cannot describe the sound. I have listened to Senn HD800's and a number of "big" name earphones, and these little in-ear are just amazing.

The first song brought a smile to my face. It has far less bass than any of the other ear-phones I have listened to or own, and I compared it directly with the HD555 I have on my table. Bass is actually a bit shy. But, the mids and highs just makes up for it, so well actually that I never really missed the lows.

I listened to "the prayer", and Celine Dion just appeared next to me, it was as if I was in a smallish jazz bar, and she was singing in front of me. The way the s' sounds at the end of words just rolls off I have never heard on other cans, neither my bedroom or lounge stuff. Sound is detailed, grand with oooooh so much information. I am really stunned.

Go read reviews on the net. I am not going to bother with trying to impress anyone on this little earphone. Rather I want to invite anyone to come and listen to these truly remarkable phones (bring your own tips please). I believe that i have found a replacement for my dearly loved (and departing) Sony's at last.

Latest posts