Author Topic: PCB track repair 101  (Read 4743 times)

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
Re: PCB track repair 101
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2020, 09:38:45 PM »
Thanks for the pic of the 3296 trimpot, however, vintage appeal has got my goat, so will go with the 3296's if I really have to. I have some Bourns models in stock and some Phier models as well. Will dig some out to see whats available... just in case. Thanks for the links to the manuals, will take a look to see if its any different from what I have already.

Some humour....a pair of old resistors were seeking counselling, seemingly unhappy with each other. The husband complains that the wife has become noisy. Wife complains that the husband has become more resistive towards her and intolerant. Its very tragic...they drifted apart over the years...and were once so very close.  :P
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:41:55 PM by marantz123 »

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the pic of the 3296 trimpot, however, vintage appeal has got my goat, so will go with the 3296's if I really have to. I have some Bourns models in stock and some Phier models as well. Will dig some out to see whats available... just in case. Thanks for the links to the manuals, will take a look to see if its any different from what I have already.

If you want to be pedantic about trimmer looks, then look at the Bourns 3306 Series or the Bourns 3386 Series and paint them black. Me, I am more into "it must be quality and function as originally designed".

Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »
How is the PCB restoration going?

Here is some motivation ...  :dop:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline peterc

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2020, 02:12:06 PM »
Hi Marantz123

This is an amazing documentation of the process, well done. Wish I had seen this thread earlier.

By the way, where do you get the ferrules?

Many thanks
Peter

Offline HB

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2020, 03:02:53 PM »
Bump  :popcorn:
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take it!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2020, 03:24:25 PM »
Bump  :popcorn:

Yeah, let's bump this. Bumpety bump ...  :Whoohoo:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2020, 09:02:45 AM »
Fellows

Greetings to you, sorry for the quiet time on this thread. Things have slowed down on this project a bit. Thanks for the interest and taking the time to read through this thread.

To answer PeterC,  firstly thank you for the sentiments on this Peter. The ferrules should be available at most places stocking electric-fencing hardware. I picked up my ferrules at the ACDC electrical store  ( now..dont all rush at once ! I can already visualize the store receiving a surge of online orders for silly little ferrules...how surprised they would be, and I hope they dont hike the price! I suggest drawing up a roster amongst you all and order in a time-release fashion over a few months or years to avoid raising their curiosity or shocking them electric-fencing folks. They will shock us with a price hike otherwise. FD may oblige to run the order book if you ask him nicely  :angel:  )

All the other consumables and tools are common and you probably have those already.

Note there is also a ready-made PCB ferrule product available elsewhere, I do recall @vinyljan posting a pic of such a product some time ago.

The ferrules I have used need a bit of tweaking (cut to size, and a bit of flaring needed). Each ferrule is long enough (about 1cm) which allows one to obtain two useable ferrules from the length for the purposes of PCB through-hole repair.

I will cover the termination, finalization and finishing (deburring and tinning) of the ferrules next.

Best regards and stay safe  :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 09:06:04 AM by marantz123 »

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »
I just want to say thanks for reminding me about this. I recently used bootlace ferrules and some copper foil to fix a butchered PCB. I was very proud of how it came out. The board previously had several jumper wires soldered across broken broken tracks and missing solder pads.

I neglected to take pics, though.  :vsad:

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Rnwza

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2020, 05:13:23 PM »
Keen to see more...bump!
"Music is essentially useless. As life is." - George Santayana

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »
Long time due bump ...