Author Topic: Paspberry Pi3 and HAT for spdif output  (Read 500 times)

Offline georgev

Paspberry Pi3 and HAT for spdif output
« on: April 03, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »
Anyone using this sort of thing for hardwiring to a dac? As a sort of bridge for DACs that do not have Ethernet?
" For by Grace you have been saved through Faith..............It is the free gift of God". Ephesians 2: 8-9

Offline dekardy

Re: Paspberry Pi3 and HAT for spdif output
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 02:11:54 PM »
@Wietsche is using a setup like this. Perhaps ping him.  I know that he did an extensive write up. Will need to search for the link.

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 01:04:42 PM »
I Have one used it  for a long time with my older dac which had no USB
check the Pishop
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline mapret

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 04:49:14 PM »
I used to have a Pi3 with a DigiOne Hat, that feeds a Vivere DAC.  It punched way above its price tag.  The DigiOne reclocks the feed from the Pi, and have all kinds of circuitry that cleans up the power supply side.

Many friends that visited me could not make sense of the quality sound they experience, when they see the Pi setup.  Interesting thing is that I recently upgraded to a Pi4 thinking that the extra processing power and  video processing ability would make things better.  4k Video stream like a dream, but for some reason their is a significant drop in audio detail. Need to move back to my Pi3 setup soon.
You are unique, just like everybody else...

Offline Marakasmalan

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »
I used a Pi 3 with an IQ A˙dio Digi+ hatboard. I used the Pi as a Squeezelite endpoint, with the squeezeplayer output being the SPDIF output to the DAC module of my amplifier, whilst Kodi using the HDMI output to the AV amplifier. Worked very good and had no complaints. Later realised I could simply connect the pi to the NAD DAC with a USB cable. Kodi managed the video library with the media stored on the NAS, mounted to the Pi via NFS and the NAS had LMS installed, serving the squeezeplayer. Coul detect no difference between the SPDIF and USB output.

If you have the SPDIF hatboard connected with SPDIF to to an AV amp, IFAIK you cannot stream lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio format to the AV AMP, even if the AV amp supported such codecs. Better to output video and sound via HDMI to AV amp.