Author Topic: Jupiter CS-80 integrated Valve Amplifier  (Read 1711 times)

Offline ramlaulv

Jupiter CS-80 integrated Valve Amplifier
« on: April 03, 2020, 08:29:18 AM »
Does anyone have any information on Jupiter model CS-80 stereophonic amplifier?

Offline ramlaulv

Re: Jupiter CS-80 integrated Valve Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:17:00 AM by Family_Dog »

Offline ramlaulv

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 08:34:14 AM »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:17:35 AM by Family_Dog »

Online El Sid

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 10:51:34 AM »
As you no doubt discovered, the internet throws up absolutely nothing on that. It looks like a pretty standard amp of the day, EL84s probably giving about 10-15W per channel.

Are you looking to buy or refurbish?

Offline ramlaulv

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 07:48:16 AM »
it belonged to my late Dad so probably refurbish

Offline Moolz

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
Keen to see this unfold. Good luck with the restoration.

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 09:51:39 AM »
Those transformers look promising. A pic of the back panel please..if you can. There may be other clues to its origin in a serial number or any other detail printed somewhere on the chassis.

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 10:00:01 AM »
Under-chassis view would also be useful, as well as a list of the valves it uses. If you remove these, mark the chassis with the correct type first.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 11:00:24 AM »
Managed to find some information...

https://audio-heritage.jp/JUPITER/amp/cs-60.html

This refers to the Jupiter CS-60, but still doesnt tell us where the brand comes from. It looks Japanese, but from what I have read, one of the give-aways of this would be a cadmium-plated chassis....which it seems our unit here in question isnt plated. So, it looks Japanese, but its possibly not..

Then, more research...

The Jupiter brand was one of the manufacturers of jukeboxes (50's/60's) and these were made in France. So this amplifier could possibly hail from that lineage. Specifically, there is the Jupiter E80 jukebox that runs EL84's...our amplifier may have its roots here somewhere.

Heres an mp3 of someone detailing the repair carried out on a stereo Jupiter 80 amplifier:

https://hipnplay.com/en/download/jupiter-jukebox-amplifier-repair-LS16UW5hV3hmbXF6TQ

Research will go on!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:15:19 AM by marantz123 »

Online El Sid

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 12:55:19 PM »
Under-chassis view would also be useful, as well as a list of the valves it uses. If you remove these, mark the chassis with the correct type first.

-F_D

I was about to make the same request - we all like the "under the chassis" pics.... :faint:

Use masking tape when marking valve positions so you aren't marking the chassis.

But i'm sure there's nothing fancy or unobtainable for that amp and it should be pretty straightforward to restore. There will be plenty of advice on this forum.

PS - the spelling of "TAPE MONITER" suggests it didn't come out of the UK or US
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:01:37 PM by El Sid »

Online El Sid

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 01:29:18 PM »
More scratching around throws up the Jupiter CS-W8 - looks very similar: Domestic vacuum tube amplifier JUPITER CS-W8 with phone input (translate to English)

The valve complement is marked on the chassis. The 6GW8 is a triode-pentode, so there are 4 triodes doing pre (?) and phase splitter duties depending on exact topology.

I'd say that ramlaulv's CS-80 uses what may be ECC83s or similar triodes as phase splitters and driving EL84s so is likely more powerful than the CS-W8 version. Do the output transformers even look a bit beefier?

The two shielded 12AX7s (=ECC83s) on the bottom right are probably the phono preamp.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:35:36 PM by El Sid »

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 01:35:45 PM »
I was wondering if the two shielded valves weren't in fact EF86?

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Qualityten

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 12:22:57 AM »
If you get down to refurbishing this amp, you might want to start a new thread in the valves section, where the 'lightbulb lovers' hang out.  It looks a nice unit, but with probably need many of the capacitors replaced, as is typical of Japanese products from that era.

Offline Saharatunes

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 11:13:26 PM »
This refers to the Jupiter CS-60, but still doesnt tell us where the brand comes from. It looks Japanese, but from what I have read, one of the give-aways of this would be a cadmium-plated chassis....which it seems our unit here in question isnt plated. So, it looks Japanese, but its possibly not..

Then, more research...

The Jupiter brand was one of the manufacturers of jukeboxes (50's/60's) and these were made in France. So this amplifier could possibly hail from that lineage. Specifically, there is the Jupiter E80 jukebox that runs EL84's...our amplifier may have its roots here somewhere.

(link removed by Admin - please do not do this!)

Research will go on!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:44:42 AM by Family_Dog »