Author Topic: Intelligent battery charger  (Read 1979 times)

Offline MusicMan_ZA

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
Intelligent battery charger
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase an intelligent battery charger to "permanently" connect to my Willard deep cycle battery and (when there is power) charge it.

Any opinions on this one from Takealot?

https://www.takealot.com/optimate-2-tm-420-4-step-12v-0-8a-battery-charger-maintainer/PLID40732676?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr8L76sWU6AIVCIXVCh27VAhZEAQYAiABEgJDTfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If not great (for the price), what should I look at?

Thanks,
Johan

I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: Intelligent battery charger
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 07:43:37 PM »
Awesome charger but what about the times you need a bit more than maintenance.  I would suggest something in the victron ip65 blue connect range or one of the optimate 6.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Real Amplifiers Glow in the Dark.
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 08:37:57 PM »
We carry the Benton range, if you're interested. The charger you're looking at is way too small for a large battery.

If you only want a maintenance charger with an occasional full charge, the BX-1(M) would be suitable, 5-step, 800mA to 3.8A max. You can safely leave this charger permanently connected to the battery, also suitable for LiFePO4 batteries.

-F_D

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:40:25 PM by Family_Dog »

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 06:07:49 AM »
Victron got some super nice chargers but get ready to sell one of your audio equipment  :giggle: The one that family_Dog looks super nice and then you can check this one out at Midas:

I'm using one that to keep my 190ah AGM's top up because i'm not using them anymore, move over to Lifepo4's
Here some more info: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/189721-Chargers-Is-more-expensive-always-Better/page2

You get them in 6Amp and 8Amp.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline MusicMan_ZA

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 02:20:09 PM »
Thanks for the answers above, everyone - it was very helpful.

Cheers,
Johan
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline MusicMan_ZA

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 05:26:00 PM »
I haven't bought the new charger yet, and it might be a very good thing!
But just to make sure:

I do have a car battery charger, with 6v/12 and Trickle Charge/Full Charge functions.
I used this to bring my Willard 105Ah DC Battery up to 13.8v.
I also made new cables with the correct plugs for my 12v Fibre Box (Raycore from Vumatel) and 12v wireless router (D-Link).
When the power went off today at 12pm, I was ready!
I switched over to the battery, and for 21 minutes I had internet. Both devices worked fine - green lights on on the D-Link,
and Blue and orange lights on on the Raycore. Internet speed tested at 6Mbps (not 10).
Then the internet died.
Green lights still on on the D-Link, and only the blue light on the Raycore.
This makes me think that the Vumatel fibre is also affected by the load shedding in my area, and is not available for
most of the load shedding period?
It would also explain why, when the power comes back on in my house, it can take 10-10 minutes before my internet access is restored?

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

I don't want the backup power for lights or for TV, so if my internet is still not going to work, there would be no point in my
setting this up.

PS. My Vodacom phone also goes into "no service" for most of the load shedding period (sometimes I get E, but nothing loads or works, anyway), and I have a big-ass tower on top of the hill, just behind me!  :headbanger:

Any thoughts on this?

Offline HB

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 12:34:06 AM »
We had a similar problem. During load shedding the INet was MIA, on our phones. Turns out they are having problems with affirmative shoppers liberating backup batteries.
We logged a fault/complaint and it has been sorted.

When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take it!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline MusicMan_ZA

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 05:49:36 PM »
I forgot to end this: I ended up buying a Bosch C7 charger.
Everything else was sold out in my area.
In any event, very happy with it, and glad I just got what I wanted in the first place.

Mods, please lock.