DIY six channel transistor amplifier.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micron

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good day guys.

I need six channels of amplification for a stereo three way active loudspeaker system. I haven't kept track of the transistor amplifier playfield for a few years. I'll be using the amplifiers with high efficiency loudspeaker drivers so 20 watts or more per channel will provide me with sufficient headroom. Higher power is welcome though.

What are the recommended modules, chips, designs to go with lately?

Is the LM3886 still a good contender or have affordable class D and class T modules exceeded the capabilities of LM3886 implementations?

I know there are the Hypex modules and the IcePower modules too, but if possible I'd like to get six channels of amplification for under or around R10k (if this is an unrealistic budget please add your commentary).

I know that with these chip amps it is: power supply, power supply, power supply - if there are good established designs that have power supply and audio circuitry figured out that you know of please feel free to share them with me.