Author Topic: Best VA partners  (Read 828 times)

Offline iMercury

Best VA partners
« on: March 08, 2020, 10:57:23 AM »
Hi all, got my Exclame quite some time ago. Partnered with CM5ís and a nice Pure DAC + Teac CD player. Added some rocket 44ís and been enjoying since. Thanks in no small part to this forum I might add.

Iíve now have the good fortune to consider a proper upgrade. I must also say Iíve been finding the whole combination a little flat of late (which does wear off somewhat about an hour in to a listening / working session).

Iím tempted to change speakers first and wonder if
A) thatís the place to start (or would I be better of switching to solid state / upgrading to a predator or similar) and
B) if anyone has advice on what the most dreamy, goosebump filled bookshelf options are - preferably that they have actually heard with the Exclame. Of course Iím always looking for bang for buck but Iím also open to pretty top end suggestions if warranted. I want to go on a trial spree.

Soundstage and clarity are key. Iím a violinist and so love listening to music Iíve played before (with all the nuances) and likewise acoustic pop and rock (snow patrol / Jeremy loops / hootie / Tracey Chapman). Occasionally something more hectic (fort minor for example)

Thanks!

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: Best VA partners
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »
You mention Pure DAC.   There are a few brands with models called pure as well as a brand Pure.   I donít really know any of them as such.  They seem to range from very entry to rather spiffy for eg the BMC.  Just asking.  Never underestimate the source.   

Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too https://wa.me/27835651236?text=AVF%20 http://www.croak.co.za

Offline iMercury

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »
Sorry. I lied. NuForce Icon. The Pure provides a digital out from my iPod to the NuForce DAC. But mostly I use my PD-H600 directly to the AMP.

Offline Schalk

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 09:10:35 AM »
Morning,

You mention you got your Exclamť quite some time ago, was it new or second hand? Reason might be that the valve is losing some of its muscle and this could be the cause of the loss in body for the first hour or so.. Just a thought from its maker :thumbs:

Offline iMercury

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
Brand new from the spider himself :) and a very pleasant interaction at the time!

Offline Lance

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »
Hi iMercury, I suggest that you audition a couple of Sonor Audio speakers with your Exclame, you will not be disappointed!, no harm in trying!

Offline GECO

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 01:45:05 PM »
Morning,

You mention you got your Exclamť quite some time ago, was it new or second hand? Reason might be that the valve is losing some of its muscle and this could be the cause of the loss in body for the first hour or so.. Just a thought from its maker :thumbs:
I was about to suggest a new valve as well

Online JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 07:05:57 PM »
Tannoy speakers also pair well.  So do Castle, and for sources Iíve never had an issue.
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....