Author Topic: Alternative for when there is no fibre coverage in your area.  (Read 454 times)

Offline Mopy_ZA

I stream movies and series from various sources, but when others in the household were doing the same, the old 12 meg ADSL was just not good enough. The best option (fibre) is not available in my area, so I looked around for alternatives eventually settled on a solution. The main new component being a Mutli - Wan interface router. This router allows you to use mutiple wan (Internet connections) and combine them up to be seen as a common connection. The router I chose is a Tenda W15E. (It was fairly cheap at around R800 - these things do get quite expensive because their main usage is intended for enterprises and business).

Anyway, I now have a Rain LTE , Vodacom LTE, Cell C LTE, and the old ADSL all plugged into the Multi Wan router, and the router handles all the load balancing and traffic.  Streaming 4k HDR no problem, while others are watching youtube and Facebook TV. 

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Alternative for when there is no fibre coverage in your area.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 09:57:20 AM »
Wow! Shows you: where there's a will there's a way.  :dop:

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Mopy_ZA

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 10:22:05 AM »
Wow! Shows you: where there's a will there's a way.  :dop:
Thanks, and much cheaper than moving to a new house in an area covered by fibre :)

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

Offline Simango4

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 02:20:29 PM »
Wow...an impressive implementation, I need something like this, I've only seen its application on cellphones by far where they combine WIFI and LTE to achieve a higher throughput, thanks for the test feedback, I currently have vodacom LTE, I may just add MTN and Cell C as their offers become more juicy.
Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 02:37:30 PM »
Nice.
I like how the show goes on even if one or two of the LTE providers goes down.

Offline Mopy_ZA

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »
Thanks , it has been working very well. You just have to keep an eye on the data caps.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

Online Katji

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »
Wow...an impressive implementation, I need something like this, I've only seen its application on cellphones by far where they combine WIFI and LTE to achieve a higher throughput, thanks for the test feedback, I currently have vodacom LTE, I may just add MTN and Cell C as their offers become more juicy.

MTN to cut mobile data prices by 50% this April

Posted: 24 Mar 2020 05:00 AM PDT

MTN to cut mobile data prices by 50% this April 1GB 30-day MTN mobile data will be reduced from R149 to R99, a 33% decrease. On Friday, MTN announced its plans to cut data prices in South Africa by up too 50%. Considering how expensive data is in the country, this is welcomed news. Seeing []
https://idmmag.com/news/mtn-to-cut-data-prices-by-50-this-april/ 

Offline Simango4

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »
MTN to cut mobile data prices by 50% this April

Thanks Katji, this is great news amidst Covid challenge...I could get around 100GB total day + night data for at most R250 hopefully.

My plan is not to exceed R500 on data, that probably sounds very stingy  :rubhands:, currently paying R199 for my 40GB Vodacom LTE.

Mopy_ZA, at least my Vodacom line automatically cuts the connection when data runs out, i'll try and get the same kind of cap with the other lines just to be on the safe side.

Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...