Author Topic: Converting my Otari MX5050 MKII hub spindle thingys...  (Read 1153 times)

Offline marcochezzi

Re: Converting my Otari MX5050 MKII hub spindle thingys...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 08:35:40 AM »
Hi,
Anytime from next week, collecting the thing on Friday and will need to learn how to drive it    :sd:

I don't care for trumpets on the hubs on vertical machines as they just add to poor gripping tension of the hubs with more "outboard" weight and Revox hubs are among the worst for poor hold down.

That's interesting Chris, I must admit that I have not noticed any hold down issues on mine, in fact there is a fair amount of tension between the reel plate on spool on both my units on testing, however I do respect your statement in this regard as without doubt the tension and hold down force on the Otari collet mechanism certainly seems better and stronger to me, not to mention truer centering of the reels, accepting some reel nab diameter tolerance in the mix.

Truth is I have always liked the appearance of the Revox crowns, which is why I am going full circle again in terms of designing and machining a Revox crown look with collet clamping system, its going to be interesting and just maybe a one off..

Lets see if I can pull this one off, good thing I did not damage any original parts..

I really do want to see your MTR10, will keep in touch.. :thumbs:

Offline christempler

Re: Converting my Otari MX5050 MKII hub spindle thingys...
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 09:52:54 AM »
MTR10 in and working!
What a day yesterday - 825km round trip and got to see and experience BOP Studios! An absolute triumph of a place heading into oblivion. Heard that fabled Kinshito Monitors too

Drop me a line at templerind@gmail.com with your phone number and I'll give you a ring if your'e still interested in visiting
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel